Transmission Problem (92k)- With Solution

The auto transmission was not changing gears when stone cold in the morning- but the paddles worked. Because the engine is so quiet at first we thought it was sluggish and engine related. It was only when I had the window down one morning I heard the engine revving higher than normal(yeh I know I should watch the Tacho)

I've recently moved from Lexus Newcastle to Lexus Chatswood for service. Newcastle were told but didn't fix it as part of that mind numbingly expensive service. Chatswood did- the transmission filter was partly blocked so that when cold it was struggling to build up enough pressure to change gears.

Apparently this has happened in the US. Hope it helps someone

A result of unacceptable service from your Newcastle dealer by the sounds of things. I thought it was pretty stock standard for all autos to have a filter replacement at 80-90k, as a minimum an inspection. At least Chatswood has now sorted you out.

As well - it is Lexus obligation to check all issues that the driver alerts the service department to prior to a service. I'm with Melb City Lexus - and on my experience their service dept is faultless. They have gone above and beyond at times, and done additional servicing/'fine tuning' even when I didnt ask. Its a pity your experience with Lexus has been tarnished by the Newcastle dealer. Lexus have to be careful if they are planning to significantly expand their dealer network over the next 5 years.

My car does that every morning from a cold start. It seems to like holding onto 3rd gear for a while before it will shift to 4th (~3000rpm).

I think it does that to warm up the transmission. It's kinda annoying because I don't like the engine reving that hard when the temp guage has barely lifted off it's resting point.

Does anyone notice this??

It definitely doesnt happen to me.

Though I think Ive noticed after my first service that all my gears are held a bit longer and it is a fair bit harder to get from 5th to 6th.

Net result is noticeably lower fuel economy around town.

Is it possible that something was done during the service that could have changed the points at which the transmission changes gears?

Sorry, I might need to clarify - my car holds onto 3rd gear a bit longer from a cold start. Once the temp guage is about 1/4 warm, the transmission shifts normally after that.

My car does that every morning from a cold start. It seems to like holding onto 3rd gear for a while before it will shift to 4th (~3000rpm).

I think it does that to warm up the transmission. It's kinda annoying because I don't like the engine reving that hard when the temp guage has barely lifted off it's resting point.

Does anyone notice this??

Sorry, I might need to clarify - my car holds onto 3rd gear a bit longer from a cold start. Once the temp guage is about 1/4 warm, the transmission shifts normally after that.

I don't have that problem at all. I try not to nudge over 2000rpm for the first 5 minutes or so by driving 'softly' and letting the transmission up shift at lower revs (not using the paddles) by itself.

I might add; the car is garaged, so it may not be as cold as cars which have been sitting on the street or on the drive over night.

• 5 months later...

The problem is back. The car is just back from Chatswood Lexus and they are asking Lexus Australia for a new transmission. At the time of this post we are waiting for a response. The car is now just on 100K. Apparently the transmission is a sealed unit- ie- the fluid is supposed to last a lifetime. They've just had to flush it again and replace the filter. The dealer agrees this is not right which is why they've asked for a replacement unit

So lets hope this is a one off. But for those of you approaching 100K check your transmission gear changing when cold. Any hesitation get it looked at pronto

A result of unacceptable service from your Newcastle dealer by the sounds of things.

At least Chatswood has now sorted you out.

Its a pity your experience with Lexus has been tarnished by the Newcastle dealer.

Lexus have to be careful if they are planning to significantly expand their dealer network over the next 5 years.

Lets just say the Newcastle Lexus is doggy.

FYI

Lexus of Chatswood & Lexus of Newcastle are the same company.

They are owned by Phil McCarroll Motor Group.

http://www.mccarrolls.com.au

A result of unacceptable service from your Newcastle dealer by the sounds of things.

At least Chatswood has now sorted you out.

Its a pity your experience with Lexus has been tarnished by the Newcastle dealer.

Lexus have to be careful if they are planning to significantly expand their dealer network over the next 5 years.

Lets just say the Newcastle Lexus is doggy.

FYI

Lexus of Chatswood & Lexus of Newcastle are the same company.

They are owned by Phil McCarroll Motor Group.

http://www.mccarrolls.com.au

Yes I know that . However I've found that Chatswood service is far superior. Sometimes its the individuals that make the difference

• 4 weeks later...

Now I'm pissed off. Got the car back after 2 and a half weeks to discover they've once again serviced the existing transmission.- According to the warranty invoice they've "removed transmission and replaced shift solenoids and filter. Cleaned valve body, Roadtested Vehicle,OK"

This despite assurances from LexusAustralia public relations and Chatswood that the transmission would be replaced. The tranny on these things is a sealed unit which according to the service manual never has the fluid changed. Now I'm on my third filter and the only thing they've done additionally is replace the solenoids and clean the valve body.

Anyone got a physical street address for Lexus? I'm tired of being BS'd to on the phone. The car is now out of warranty and I think I'm due a replacement transmission. What do you think?

Have you kept correspondence records? Or was all your dealings done in person or by phone?

If you've kept correspondence, you'll at least be able to press the case if problems continue past the warrantee period. It still wont guarantee they'll attend to it after the warrantee period expires (seeing they can always say that the origional problem was remedied, but a new and un-related problem has then occured), but it'll give you a much better shot at it.

Have you kept correspondence records? Or was all your dealings done in person or by phone?

If you've kept correspondence, you'll at least be able to press the case if problems continue past the warrantee period. It still wont guarantee they'll attend to it after the warrantee period expires (seeing they can always say that the origional problem was remedied, but a new and un-related problem has then occured), but it'll give you a much better shot at it.

Yeh I have diary records and the service history - but its all by phone. Have you ever tried to email or write to them? There's an onsite form for website feedback but no mailing address or email address. White pages has nothing. So to get printed records is impossible

What really concerns me is what keeps blocking the filter? I can see that anything they've changed addresses that

Only time will tell.

Until then, write both the service manager and your previous contact at Lexus Aus. to ask why the task wasn't performed as per your previous discussions, and let them know you're very dissapointed that it wasn't. Ensure the letter is written more as a "request for response" rather than a rant.

Hopefully, they'll respond.

Only time will tell.

Until then, write both the service manager and your previous contact at Lexus Aus. to ask why the task wasn't performed as per your previous discussions, and let them know you're very dissapointed that it wasn't. Ensure the letter is written more as a "request for response" rather than a rant.

Hopefully, they'll respond.

Done. Letters have just been faxed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sorry to hear that your issue hasn't been resolved as long as you have all your correspondence - The issue actually started while the car was in warranty.

I haven't had a good look myself but I was led to believe that the car doesn't have a filler tube for the transmission?? I may be wrong. I've also noticed that over time the gear changes gets a bit rough (not much) sometimes.

I raised this during my last 2 services with Lexus and was told they 'reset the servos' which made the gear changes smoother again like day 1 - I hope this isn't a common thing.

I'm not sure what they meant by 'reset' and I've had cars from VW, Honda, Toyota and their transmissions were smooth for 100K (not requiring much servicing) so it's been fixed this time.

I've done a filter change once and normally you'll find magnets at the bottom of pan to collect metal filings - After 100K+ the filter was clean as anything but I changed it anyways.

Hopefully you can get a resolution to this soon from Lexus Aust.