Hi all,

Recently bought a second hand Lexus IS250 and is now due for a 75k service. I bought the car from dealer @ Brighton and they were kind enough to include a 3 year extended warranty for the 2006 car.

With my service due soon, I have been calling around dealers and the quote I got from all of them range between 680 - 880 with Brighton being the most expensive. To keep the warranty I will have to get the service done at Brighton being the most expensive. Is this normal for a 75k service? They told me they need to change the oil filter but I wonder if it's worth that much.

Now I'm considering voiding the warranty altogether and get Toyota to service the car. Any advice from experienced owners regarding this?

Regards,

Adrian

the oil filter is $23.75!

is the whole service worth it? probably not. you can always get it done significantly cheaper outside of lexus however for peace of mind i would just stick with lexus if budget allows. their service cost is no more than audi/bmw/mercedes and that price includes a loan car as well, something yuou don't get from the euro's unless you negotiated it at purchase time.

car servicing, one of the many joys of car ownership :-)

My 75K service cost $740 (Lexus of Perth) so your quotes sound about right. That included replacement of fuel filter, which was about 130 for the part.

Sydney City Lexus have quoted me 'about $700' too. They said the fuel filter replacement means taking out the back seats. He advised that when I do do it, that I'd have to come in preferably with very little in the fuel tank, as fuel gets everywhere when they replace the filter.

Now I'm considering voiding the warranty altogether and get Toyota to service the car. Any advice from experienced owners regarding this?

Have you got quotes from Toyota yet?

From my reading of earlier posts about servicing costs on this site, and my own experience with Toyota service costs over a number of years, I get the impression that Toyota servicing costs are much the same as Lexus costs, once you subtract the potential value of a courtesy vehicle and car wash from the Lexus costs ($50-$100).

Hi,

I have yet to get a quote from Toyota. After thinking about it I think I will just stay safe and get the service done at the Brighton branch. They quote me $790 which is slightly dearer than other dealers here in Melbourne but I'll have to go with them if I want to keep my 3 years warranty.

AA

• 2 weeks later...

Just a FYI as I'm also due for a 75000k service.

Here is the quote I got for Lexus of Chatswood and Ultra Tune:

Quote from Lexus of Chatswood - $498

*incl pick up and delivery and loan car on the day

*free car wash once every 4 weeks

Quote for Ultra Tune Logbook service $440

*Non Lexus parts (fuel filer)

I'm surprise with the Ultra Tune price I thought it would be a fair bit lower then that.

What do you guys think?

With the above price look like Lexus of Chatswood is quite competitive.

Do you guys know of any other places with cheaper price?

As Danslex mentioned the fuel filter costs about $130 and is situated in the tank,hence the removal of the rear seat is required.(relatively high labour cost)Interestingly I was in the uk last week and rang a lexus dealer to see what they charged for one.(I`ve done about 75000kms)He came back with about $70 (for the petrol engine) and asked why I wanted it as he had never sold one.Apparently over there it isn`t in the service schedule to be changed at any mileage and wondered why its different.

• Like 1

As Danslex mentioned the fuel filter costs about $130 and is situated in the tank,hence the removal of the rear seat is required.(relatively high labour cost)Interestingly I was in the uk last week and rang a lexus dealer to see what they charged for one.(I`ve done about 75000kms)He came back with about $70 (for the petrol engine) and asked why I wanted it as he had never sold one.Apparently over there it isn`t in the service schedule to be changed at any mileage and wondered why its different.

The fuel filter should be changed every 75k's because it gets dirty . I have changed a couple of these type fuel filters before the labor time is not that long when you get used to changing them although its a bit tricky to do . As i am led to believe from a Toyota rep that used to come to my work our fuel and way its distributed is not as for lack of a better word clean as most countries overseas .But the fuel smell and the fact the fuel will spill every where is unavoidable because of the pressure in the fuel lines .

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I got a quote from Brighton today for the 75k service and they gave me a price of $1,054. I couldn't believe it. I had to double check and they confirm the price. I even got the price for the 90k service and that's over $1500. I was expecting a price of around the $800 mark. But over a grand for an oil, oil filter and fuel filter change is just absurd.

I checked with Melbourne City and they quoted me around $750. I then checked with a Toyota Dealer who quoted me around $340. The Toyota dealer mentioned that they were actually doing a service for an IS250 today.

The decision now is that we bought the car from Brighton and need to get the car serviced with them to keep our 3 year warranty. I just wondered if I was given this "special" price since the person on the phone asked me for the car rego before providing me with a quote.

Wow! I got a quote from Brighton today for the 75k service and they gave me a price of $1,054. I couldn't believe it. I had to double check and they confirm the price. I even got the price for the 90k service and that's over $1500. I was expecting a price of around the $800 mark. But over a grand for an oil, oil filter and fuel filter change is just absurd.

I checked with Melbourne City and they quoted me around $750. I then checked with a Toyota Dealer who quoted me around $340. The Toyota dealer mentioned that they were actually doing a service for an IS250 today.

The decision now is that we bought the car from Brighton and need to get the car serviced with them to keep our 3 year warranty. I just wondered if I was given this "special" price since the person on the phone asked me for the car rego before providing me with a quote.

sorry I cant help, but I'm just wondering if you're absolutely certain that you have to take it to them to keep the 3 year warranty. That's a massive negative if that's true.

That's seriosuly overpriced in comparison!

Check your fine print carefully, surely you can have it servied at any other Lexus dealer!

We bought it second hand from Brighton. The 3 year warranty is a dealer warranty. I asked the dealer at the time of purchase and they explained that the warranty is offered by Brighton only and as such all service work must be done by them as they cannot guarantee the workmanship of other service centres, other Lexus dealers included.

Just an update. I contacted the same Toyota Dealer today via email to confirm the price for the 75k service. They got back with a quote for $670. I asked as to why it's so expensive and the response was:

"as the rear seat assembly has to be removed and your fuel sender unit also removed to replace your fuel filter. "

I had to ask again after I read this thread last night as I had a feeling that the $340 price quoted for me over the phone seemed too good to be true.

Had my 75k service a few weeks ago at a lexus dealer.... Dont have the receipt with me, but was low 700s, and that included a fuel system clean (which I asked for). You should not bring your car along for its 75k service with a full tank of petrol either (they will ask you to re-book it in). Tank should be half-full or less (due to the replacement of the fuel filter). My car is on extended warranty (2 years to go), and I'll probably only get one, possibly two more services before that expires.

Once the warranty expires, I'll be going to Toyota after that.

Silver250 - as for the extended warranty being a dealer warranty, Im surprised at that - I thought it was a standard Lexus Australia product. My warranty is known as 'Lexus Extra Care', where my dealership may need to ring Lexus Australia to log any work done.

I had my 75k service from Lexus of Chatswood earlier this year, paid $498 for it.

Got some free chocolates and a dodgy car wash.

From what i remember, Lexus of Parramatta quoted me around the $600 mark, not sure on the exact amount though.

Update:

Decided to ring up Brighton again. Ended up speaking to a different person in the Service Department. This time I was quoted $780.

The Toyota Dealer quoted me $670. They explained (and as others have in this forum) that there is quite a bit of work involved with changing the fuel filter with having to remove the seats, etc.

Not much difference (relatively) between the Toyota and Brighton quote, so decided to book it in with Brighton.

Just did mine at Chatswood for $498, plus some wheels measurement for 28.60 :)

Sydney Lexus dealers must be doing it cheaper than Melbourne dealers. I got a quote from Melbourne City Lexus for $740. Must be the cost of living here in Melbourne :P

• 3 years later...

Got the following quotes a week ago.

Brighton Lexus - $938

Ultratune (Using Genuine Parts + Labour included) - $365:

Oil: Castrol Magnatec 10W30 (Same spec as Lexus engine oil)

Oil Filter: Genuine Lexus

Fuel Filter: Genuine Lexus

• 2 weeks later...