TESTED ON: 2007 IS250 Sports with enhancement pack

SUCCESFUL/FAIL: Success

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: easy (Lexus even supplied the tools!)

INTRODUCTION

So you've got your shiny new maps DVD. Perhaps you "found" it online or perhaps you've been kind enough to store an "offsite backup" for a mate with a Toyota/Lexus that uses the same system. All you have to do now is get the disc installed.

STEPS

Rather than attempt to explain this myself, I thought it best to let Lexus do it. The attached PDF below contains all the information needed, including where the tools are in your Lexus toolkit. The pertinent information starts at page 14.

Nav_Appendix.pdf

UPDATE: Bluey has thoughtfully posted photos on how the probes look when removing the clock panel. You can find them here.

Just to add to Korvans brilliant work, here is a small pictorial that I found on CL. I did some serious editing down from the original post.

It also goes into discussing the firmware downgrade procedure for those that are curious about the firmware mods like myself.

Replacing_the_maps_DVD_pictorial._Firmware_down_grade..doc

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I had a little time this afternoon, so thought I'd record myself removing the clock fascia, just so people can see how it's done. Quality may be a little low to meet the 2MB attachment limit, but you get the general idea. Sorry 'about the censor bars - didn't want anyone seeing my ugly mug reflected in the gearshift or the fascia itself!

Removing_the_IS250_clock_fascia.wmv

Hope this helps some of you...

OK, I had a little time this afternoon, so thought I'd record myself removing the clock fascia, just so people can see how it's done. Quality may be a little low to meet the 2MB attachment limit, but you get the general idea. Sorry 'about the censor bars - didn't want anyone seeing my ugly mug reflected in the gearshift or the fascia itself!

What, no audio!!!! ;) Nice work never the less mate!!!

Sorry, my bad, my codecs got all confused............ :wacko: !!!! Again, nice work!!

What, no audio!!!! ;) Nice work never the less mate!!!

Sorry, my bad, my codecs got all confused............ :wacko: !!!! Again, nice work!!

good stuff..... will definitely help those who haven't done it yet!

would have saved me so much time if you did this a month ago! :-(

Just to add to Korvans brilliant work, here is a small pictorial that I found on CL. I did some serious editing down from the original post.

It also goes into discussing the firmware downgrade procedure for those that are curious about the firmware mods like myself.

Hey mate,

you mention removing the fuse when doing a firmware downgrade, i cant find that particular fuse, are you sure it is labeled as 'TV NO.1', there is no such thing on mine, i have an 08 model

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Cool...hopefully it has my street and house on it so i can find my way home.

Will have to wait till it gets ripped and put on torrent....would never pay that for a dvd probably has minimal updates on it anyway

Anyone find a torrent with this DVD on it??

• 2 months later...
Cool...hopefully it has my street and house on it so i can find my way home.

Will have to wait till it gets ripped and put on torrent....would never pay that for a dvd probably has minimal updates on it anyway

Anyone find a torrent with this DVD on it??

http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=2679503

not a torrent but you can get it there. Testing it now if it does not work I'll let you know.

edit: oops posted v14. link is now to v15

http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=2679503

not a torrent but you can get it there. Testing it now if it does not work I'll let you know.

edit: oops posted v14. link is now to v15

Works a treat, and only needs a single layer DVD. :P

Thanks for the info veridian5

BTW, much easier to download from the megaupload site, just follow the link veridian5 posted above.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Downloaded the medgupload parts mentioned earlier by one of the guys, but cant seem to get it to work in my is. Downloaded the 11 parts, anything more that needs to be done. When inserted says that no dvd is read.

Thanks guys

Hi guys,

Downloaded the medgupload parts mentioned earlier by one of the guys, but cant seem to get it to work in my is. Downloaded the 11 parts, anything more that needs to be done. When inserted says that no dvd is read.

Thanks guys

You'll need a program to reassemble the RAR files you now have into a DVD ISO image. Then burn the DVD using that image.

Something like WinRAR, just google RAR and you'll get some options.

• 1 month later...

Here's a good torrent:

http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/320...yota-Lexus-Ford

Got it from the RX section. Just finished downloading it, and just installed it, works perfect.

I can't see any difference either. I reckon the prices they charge for it is extortion. I guess will see on my country drives whether they fixed some of those straight road sections on the map where the road in fact isn't straight lol!

• 2 months later...
Sales of version 15 have now been suspended pending release of version 16 and adjustment of pricing. New stock is expected to be ready for sale by late December. If you require a Version 15 in the interim please contact customer care on 1800 819 471.

From the WhereIs site

Someone, please revisit this site when a torrent of V16 appears

Ok, did mine today and thought I would share experiences.

Dowloaded and created a DVD of V15. Couldn't find any links to V16 (yet).

The video by Korvan on the 7 September 2008 in this thread is well worth viewing before attempting this task (thanks Korvan for uploading).

I had troubles finding the two tools. I opened the Safety Triangle pack before I "discovered" the false tray over the mini spare wheel. Then I found the funny shaped tool kit next to the spare wheel. Upon opening the tool kit, I didn't immediately find the two slim keys located in their own fully covered pocket in the centre spine of the tool kit.

Using the tools I found that a reasonable force was needed to push the tools home. Then it took a reasonable force to "walk" the clock fascia out of the dashboard.

After that, things progressed smoothly from ejecting the original DVD and inserting my own. Be aware that there's a shortish wait while the DVD spins up, initialises, then presents a screen warning not to change power settings till the loading process completes (about 45 seconds).

On the first drive test, it took a few minutes for the display to come onto a correct track. (Initially I was tracking in nearby Sydney Harbour). After the few minutes lost in the Harbour, the tracking settled onto the correct road and now a few days since the update, all is 100% good.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I finally completed the work by installing the switch so that the destination can be fed into the NAV unit while the car is in motion. I don't anticipate doing the destination feeding when I'm driving but the mod allows my passenger (usually, my wife) to feed the NAV address while I'm at the wheel.

Sharing the experience I list the following observations:

The switch came from the USA as suggested by Technique in http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-...switch-diy.html where he says:

This switch - http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45 - Appears to be a perfect fit, but no one has tried it yet... Either way, it doesn't have any markings (which I like better), so if anyone wants to do this hack, I'd recommend this switch...

You DO need to file away some plastic in the switch housing to mount this switch. Nothing too hard with this!

I mounted the switch so that in the OFF mode, the car behaves normally. Switching down (ON) the NAV functions can be accessed. Normally the switch is only ON for the minute or so while the passenger feeds in the NAV destination.

In operation, our sequence is as follows:

Switch closed (up) - you can't enter a destination while in motion

MAP/VOICE screen - see normal map display.

DEST screen - see a dimmed ADDRESS icon

Switch open (down) - The MAP/VOICE display is unreliable (read useless!)

DEST screen - you can now enter a destination in the DEST screen while the car is in motion.

When done, switch back to closed (up) and select MAP/VOICE

Be aware that when your switch to open mode and select the MAP/VOICE screen, it can take up to 20 seconds before the display locks back onto reliable display mode.

All-in-all, an excellent modification given a little bit of bravery needed to hack into your beloved IS250.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at Lexus today having some work done to my brakes and I asked about the availability of Maps V16.

Still not available but they have dropped the price of V15 from $399 to $325. :angry:

Dont mind paying for a service, but $325 for an upgrade is highway robbery.