Recently got an used IS250, I checked the internet and the logbook itself,

It seems that service frequency should be every 15000km/12 months.

But my service guy gave me a 'reminder sticker' saying next service will be 52000km/Feb 2012.(my car is on 47000 btw)

Which is correct, 12 months or 6 months.

:huh: please help me out :(

12 mths/15000 km, unless you drive your car under certain conditions listed in the logbook. To summarise those conditions:

- off-road driving

- frequent start/stop driving at low speed ("like a taxi," I've been told)

- towing

- other conditions not normally found in Australia

The frequency in such cases is 6 mths/7500 km.

By suggesting another service at 5000 km, it sounds like the service centre was eager to see you sooner and make more money from you. Was it a Lexus service centre?

12 mths/15000 km, unless you drive your car under certain conditions listed in the logbook. To summarise those conditions:

- off-road driving

- towing

By suggesting another service at 5000 km, it sounds like the service centre was eager to see you sooner and make more money from you. Was it a Lexus service centre?

Its a guy currently working in Lexus service center, he does my service for $300 each time.

Everything is nice and neat except for the fact that he gave me this sticker to remind me next service will be 6 months after,

I dont feel comfortable about it.

As long as your dealer stamps the logbook to show that the service was done according to the book, I wouldn't worry too much:

- Toyota techs used to do that on cars that they serviced for me over 11 years. I ignored the stickers and stuck by the logbooks, and didn't have a problem.

- I now have the same car as you, and my dealer programs the EMV to remind me of a service in 12 months/15000 km (they don't use stickers).

]Its a guy currently working in Lexus service center, he does my service for $300 each time.Everything is nice and neat except for the fact that he gave me this sticker to remind me next service will be 6 months after,I dont feel comfortable about it.

definitely 15,000 kms or 1 year which ever comes first, this is according to both the service manual and the sticker on my windscreen.

Hi,

The service schedules that they list in most modern vehicles are really only there to make the cost of ownership as low as possible so that the surveys and a-like when carried out show that the Lexus is a good corporate choice for leasing etc.

You can particularly see this when in England a turbo diesel Vauxhall corsa gets serviced only once a year!!

Personally, I do mine every 5000kms, Oil and filter that is!, and stick to the rest of the schedule for all the checks etc. Sounds a bit excessive, but for the price of an oil and filter, it's very cheap piece of mind.

And there is nothing nicer than pulling your dipstick out when they service is due to find the oil is still looking clean and new. It is a sure fire way of keeping your engine in peak condition. It is always nicer especially when your buying a used car to see the oil golden and the dipstick unstained by dirty oil. Extended service intervals could potentially cause engine oil to go bad and leave deposits in your oil galleries and drain points. Whilst your engine oil pump positively displaces oil for circulation, the engine relies heavily on gravity and an unobstructed route back to your sump. The quicker the used oil gets back, the quicker the oil can be filtered again and so on. Having seen the damaging effects of non-regular oil changes, i would recommend the more regular approach every time.

Black oil is full of contaminants and damaging particles so, why wait!!?

And why spend all that money on a nice Lexus to then treat it to and oil change only once or twice a year!! Same goes for time versus mileage. Usually six month intervals, but remember whilst that oil is contained in your sump, it is open to atmosphere and it too will deteriate.

Food for thought!!?

Simon

In conjunction and adding to what simon has just posted i believe in the 6 month / 10 000km rule.

The fresher the oil the more engine care the more power / peak performance.

Not having a go at you, but I'd love to see back to back dyno runs before and after oil change.

Not having a go at you, but I'd love to see back to back dyno runs before and after oil change.

lool. i doubt it would be much different too but im refering to long term.

I would like to see a dyno run with these competitors (excluding build quality assuming every engine identical and done identical kms * i realise in an ideal world it wouldnt be possible BUT>>>>>>>*)

A) A car serviced 3 monthly or 5000km after 4 years

B ) A car serviced 6 monthly or 10 000km after 4 years

C) A car serviced 12 monthly or 15 000km after 4 years

D) A car serviced ONCE after 4 years or 60 000km

Recently got an used IS250, I checked the internet and the logbook itself,

It seems that service frequency should be every 15000km/12 months.

But my service guy gave me a 'reminder sticker' saying next service will be 52000km/Feb 2012.(my car is on 47000 btw)

Which is correct, 12 months or 6 months.

:huh: please help me out :(

1. Lexus IS250's maintenance schedule is every 15000km for oil change.

2. Manufacturers these days would specify so to give a good image that their cars now require shorter maintenance intervals (hence less costs for the owners)

Generally, if the car is above 5 years old and you want to keep it running smoothly, just have an

1) an oil change every 10,000km (turbocharged cars require them every 5000km)

2) use only fully synthetic (5w30) oil

After all, oil is cheap and frequent oil changes could:

• in the short run: mean better performance and/or economy
  • in the long run: a healthier engine means a longer engine life :)

A little bit of $$$ for just a healthier car and peace of mind :)

Just my 2c.

• 1 month later...

- off-road driving

- towing

Its a guy currently working in Lexus service center, he does my service for $300 each time.

Everything is nice and neat except for the fact that he gave me this sticker to remind me next service will be 6 months after,

I dont feel comfortable about it.

i bought my is250 month ago.the car had 60000k service on 56000k.i am looking to service this car in 6months time.other day was looking the service book and notice the dealer(chatswood charged too much) ,just for inspection $425 at chatswood.i dont think so take my car their just for inspection pay $425.haha,if u dont mind can i have ur mechanic who is working at lexus work shop at list he charge me less than dealer ,cheers

Personally, I do mine every 5000kms, Oil and filter that is!, and stick to the rest of the schedule for all the checks etc. Sounds a bit excessive, but for the price of an oil and filter, it's very cheap piece of mind.

If you're using a professional spec oil (dealer only oil) or off the shelf fully synthetic then it will be good for 15K easy. You're throwing away perfectly good oil. Get an oil analysis test done if you're that concerned. Have a read of Bob is the oil guy to learn a bit more. Oil has come a long way over the last few years. Some euro stuff is upto 30K intervals now days :blink: Although that's pushing it a bit far for my liking even.

should i take my car to lexus to get serviced? or is it just as good going to a reliable mechanic?

cause lexus service is kinda expeno, but i like the feeling of know Lexus is doing it

oh and getting to drive the loan car, thats fun aswell. lol

Lexus servicing intervals are bad. Lexus didn't want to service my car at 1,000km.

I took it to get it serviced myself, and saw the filter. It was FULL of metal shavings, and same as the oil. I can't believe that lexus is okay with running that amount of metal shavings in the filter for 15,000km.

Just as a note, most filters (for most other japanese cars) will tend to get blocked and not filter correctly after 5,000km (roughly) and they will simply push the diaphragm's spring and totally bypass filters to run straight back through unfiltered.

I'm not sure if this would be the same case as the IS350, cause I haven't got my 5,000km service, but I'll report back. Bets are that the filter is totally crapped out though.

very interesting 334mm

i didn;t know the filter would get blocked so quickly

but I don't worry too much as basically every survey says that the IS250 is one of the most reliable cars (well basically any lexus) hahaha

and our IS250 hasn't given us any problems with just regular Lexus services, neither has our old RX330 or LS430

my dad's old 330ci was another story tho, HAHAHA

Yeah, the car is reliable. Never had any real issues with the many Lex's in the family.

I honestly don't really know the long term effects of the things i've described above. But i can't imagine all the metal shavings i saw is healthy.

On that note, i didn't feel any improvement in engine response la di da di da etc etc after the flush.

And on another side note, had a family friends hilux do over 100k without a service before it blew up. Yup no service ever! lol my dad freaked when he was actually the one who was driving at the time it blew up.

hahaha yeh, still good to check.

waiting to get our 60k service done, anything i should know bout the 60000km service?

anything specific to ask for?

• 8 months later...

So, have you gone ahead to change the fuel filter for the IS250 which is in your stable?

Interested to know. Thank you :)

very interesting 334mm

i didn;t know the filter would get blocked so quickly

but I don't worry too much as basically every survey says that the IS250 is one of the most reliable cars (well basically any lexus) hahaha

and our IS250 hasn't given us any problems with just regular Lexus services, neither has our old RX330 or LS430

my dad's old 330ci was another story tho, HAHAHA