Hi all, my 08 Sports lux won't start :( goes through the check fine but then doesn't turn over. Worse part is I just had the 90K service done too and they said the car was all good. I'm suspecting the battery, does anyone have any experience with the battery, can you charge it or should you replace it.

I took a look and it appears to be some sort of factory jap battery, the indicator says its ok... If it is the battery I'll just have to call RACV to replace it with one of theirs I guess. Is there anything special I need to do with the alarm if this is the case?

I wonder if leaving your car lights on auto drains the battery faster as the lights are still on when you have cut the engine and don't turn off until you open the door.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like its the battery

does it make a clicking noise, but it wont run over?

it happened to me a few months ago outside school

just be aware that after u change the battery, stuff like ur seat memory and side mirror memory are wiped so u jst have to set them again

i would recommend replacing the battery, i charged mine nd it worked for a few hours and it went flat again

hope this helps

sounds like its the battery

does it make a clicking noise, but it wont run over?

it happened to me a few months ago outside school

just be aware that after u change the battery, stuff like ur seat memory and side mirror memory are wiped so u jst have to set them again

i would recommend replacing the battery, i charged mine nd it worked for a few hours and it went flat again

hope this helps

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated! Yep it does the same, makes clicking noises!!! I'll call RACV in. Haven't had the car for very long so wasn't sure if there was anything else I needed to do when changing the battery. Cheers

I suppose all batteries have a limited warranty. But if your battery is the original that came with your '08 car - no, I doubt that would be covered. Three years' lifespan would be considered normal.

For my previous IS250, my battery ran out, I called Lexus Australia who then called NRMA batteries and replaced the original battery for free under the 4 years/100,000km warranty. The new one they put in (NRMA branded) comes with 3 years warranty.

i leave my lights on the auto setting all the time

the only thing i hate about them are that they dont turn on when u unlock the car (nearly every other car with auto lights does)

Thanks for the replies all, i ended up getting racv to jump start the car, guy said I can try drive it for an hr to try charge it but I was going goldcoast that night and didn't want to risk it, so drove it to Blackburn lexus and replaced the battery for 195. Strangely enough I didn't lose my settings.

All good now :-)

That seems a reasonable price so not too bad of an end result.

Last time I went to an auto electrician he connected another battery to something in the engine so that I did not lose any of my setting ie radio channels etc – They probably did the same

I'm due for a new battery too.

Blackburn seems to be the cheapest out of the 3 dealers in Victoria.

$197 for the battery as opposed to $167 @ Blackburn.

Demographics..

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

Just an update on battery warranties -

The battery in my late 08 IS250 died this morning (2 cells failed apparently, only registering 8volts)

The Lexus DriveCare/NRMA operator advised the warranty on batteries for the IS series is 4yrs from date of first registration - ie the original standard factory warranty.

NRMA came out this morning and replaced it with one of their $199/650CCA batteries free of charge, no funds paid upfront by me - The bill is sent to Lexus.

The chap also remarked that the Panasonic battery Lexus use in the IS is usually pretty hardy, he doesn't see too many of them fail compared to the cheaper batteries used in the Subaru and Hyundais parked on either side of me.

It was all swiftly taken care of, no paperwork needed, I was pleasantly surprised!

[edit - double checking the battery model number (4504) actually shows it is a 650CCA unit, not 600CCA as I thought!)

mine did the same awhile i got talking to the guy from nrma who had a lexus is250 - he said lexus were smart enough to make the batteries so be able to operate windows and what so in the car incase you are stuck

• 2 weeks later...

Just when i was about to jump in the car to go home from work, mine clicks but won't turn over. 5yrs and still using OEM battery, hopefully it's just the battery.

Waiting for NRMA.

Just when i was about to jump in the car to go home from work, mine clicks but won't turn over. 5yrs and still using OEM battery, hopefully it's just the battery.

Waiting for NRMA.

I was talking about batteries with another member last week.

In your case, ldc - and in retrospect - were there any "telltale signs" in the day or so before the battery finally died (if, indeed, it was the battery)?

I think there were definite signs. In the mornings the startup wasn't as crisp in that the sound of the engine cranking over and the needle spinning wasn't in sync (sluggish and laggy to say the least).

Yeh but seeing it was past 6:30 i didn't feel save driving home with a dead battery even though the NRMA could have started it up.

Btw, Danny with those models of yours listed you should be LORD Lexus Enthusiast

I think there were definite signs. In the mornings the startup wasn't as crisp in that the sound of the engine cranking over and the needle spinning wasn't in sync (sluggish and laggy to say the least).

Yep mine was the same, takes slightly longer to start up.

Not sure how much an aftermarket battery is but just figured I'd let lexus do it and not have to worry with it myself.

Not sure how much an aftermarket battery is but just figured I'd let lexus do it and not have to worry with it myself.

They probably charge double the price of what it retail for.

well OEM lexus is panasonic battery (also OEM toyota)

so anything other than Panasonic will be considered aftermarket

ie' champion battery, NRMA , ETC

LOL @ justin (LDC)

• 7 years later...