Hi Guys, I recently bought a 2005 model IS250 with only 42,000kms on it.

The thing is, the car hasn't been serviced since 2008, but has done its 35,000km service. The previous owner lived on campus and hardly drove the car.

Okay, I booked my car in for a service at Parramatta and they told me the 45,000km will cost me $580 and because the car hasnt been serviced since 2008 even thought it hasnt been driven much it will cost $780 to change all fluids.

I called up chatswood Lexus and i got quote $470 something, I told her the same thing, the car hasnt been serviced since 2008 however it was hardly driven and she told me the 45,000km should be fine without any extra cost.

Which one is right? I normally do the services myself on my GT-R, etc but I have never done any service on a lexus and because the is250 is still pretty new (to me) i thought i would just get it serviced at lexus for the stamp and all.

Thanks guys

Hi Guys, I recently bought a 2005 model IS250 with only 42,000kms on it.

The thing is, the car hasn't been serviced since 2008, but has done its 35,000km service. The previous owner lived on campus and hardly drove the car.

Okay, I booked my car in for a service at Parramatta and they told me the 45,000km will cost me $580 and because the car hasnt been serviced since 2008 even thought it hasnt been driven much it will cost $780 to change all fluids.

I called up chatswood Lexus and i got quote $470 something, I told her the same thing, the car hasnt been serviced since 2008 however it was hardly driven and she told me the 45,000km should be fine without any extra cost.

Which one is right? I normally do the services myself on my GT-R, etc but I have never done any service on a lexus and because the is250 is still pretty new (to me) i thought i would just get it serviced at lexus for the stamp and all.

Thanks guys

I've been really happy with the services and charges at Chatswood.

They drop off a car and bring mine back after service is done.

If I were "picky" I would say that Chatswood DO have a tendency to up-sell. In other words "A/C could use a service on the air filter" and "We now have a special to refurbish your gutter damaged wheels!", etc

im telling you this

cuz you seem to be okay with a car that hasnt been serviced for the last 3 years

as for the service price

why dont u ring up different dealers

and find out prices yourself

not all memebers get the same price for service

some get cheaper price

due the the relationship with the dealers

The question? Yes, you CAN shop around and get different prices for Lexus services by Lexus dealers. AND, you are encouraged to do so.

I think the consensus on the board is that Chatswood are the best and cheapest of the (Sydney) dealers.

I know, but like i mentioned it just sat in the garage for 2.5yrs hardly driven. And I did? I said I called parramatta and I called chatswood and I got different prices, a big difference? No relationship whatsoever. I'm just wondering why?

And does it matter if I took it too chatswood if they pretty much did the same 45,000km service.

well being a 2005 model i woudlnt take it to the dealer

generally dealers are much more expensive than your average performance shop or mechanic shop

i do 7K services on my ISF

cost me around 300ish dollars for oil and oil filter as it takes 10L's of oil

The price difference would be peculiar if you were comparing oranges with oranges, but you're not. One service centre is recommending replacement of all fluids; the other isn't.

That isn't all that surprising for any car. Some service centres for a given make may recommend, say, a fuel system flush with each service, while others say it's okay every second or third service. Some will insist on wiper changes on each service; others only "as required".

I guess the real question to forum members is, if your IS 250 hasn't been serviced for three years, but has only been driven 7,000 km (and somewhere between 7,000 and 12,000 km since a major service), is it really necessary to replace more fluids than just the oil? (Sure, there are good reasons for changing oil at least yearly, but that isn't a factor here, as it's going to be replaced even in the most basic of services. What about coolant, brake fluid, ...?)

Thanks ilv1004s! I normally service my previous cars around the 5k mark. Just wasn't sure about the IS250.

Lexus nerd, nooo, the normal 45k service price was $580 at parramatta, and recommended me to change all fluids for $780, while chatswood wanted $470 for the normal 45k service.

When i asked the bloke at Parramatta what was involved in the 45k service he basically said the standard procedures such as oil change, filter change, air con filter change, etc. The girl at chatswood pretty much said the same thing when i asked her what was involved.

I will probably get oils such as brakes, etc done but i don't see why coolant should be done.

Thanks heaps guys! Your help is greatly appreciated. Cleared some things up for me.

Do the basic service. Doesn't matter where you go, cause it's usually the same thing.

But for the other fluid changes. Ask yourself.... Are the brakes super mushy? Is the coolant running low? Just see what feels right and what doesn't.

If it feels fine, then no real need to worry. The car is pretty bullet proof.

(although i would recommend bleeding the piston section of the brakes at least, with a little top up. The brakes are super dusty on a IS, and I would expect plenty to have leaked past)

To aid in answering your questions David.

The main reason for difference in pricing (IF IT WAS SAME SERVICE, SAME FLUIDS, SAME RIP OFF'S, SAME CHECKS AND SAME REPLACEMENTS OF PARTS) Is mainly due to Lexus service Centres although owned by Lexus Australia, are independently run. so there is not a set price for guide for servicing.

For example.

Smiths Chips are owned by Smiths, but supermarkets can sell them at what ever price they want.

Lexus of chatswood is owned by Lexus, but service centres can sell thier service at what ever price they want.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic... it will absorb moisture over time. This is why it needs changing every 24 months regardless of how much the car is used. Without properly functioning brakes, you are not only a danger to yourself, but other innocent people on the roads.

I never reach the KM limit for my services, so I get them done every 12 months, which should really be the minimum to ensure that the car is in optimum condition and will live for longer.

Edited by Atlantis

I got quoted for my 45k service at chatswood for $495 and Parra $680. However, being low kms like yours, my fuel filter wasnt due for replacement just yet so Chatswood deducted $95 from the total bill.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic... it will absorb moisture over time. This is why it needs changing every 24 months regardless of how much the car is used. Without properly functioning brakes, you are not only a danger to yourself, but other innocent people on the roads.

I never reach the KM limit for my services, so I get them done every 12 months, which should really be the minimum to ensure that the car is in optimum condition and will live for longer.

Even the air filter every 2 years, as per the book? Or would you customise your yearly services according to what things you feel are important to service/replace?

I have the F-Sport intake, so I clean my filter on an as-needed basis with the supplied cleaning kit.

I'd really only replace the standard filter if it was dirty enough. If it still resembles some sort of white colour, I'd leave it alone.

We can talk a bit more about it tomorrow in the morning :)

I had my previous car (IS300) serviced by both Parramatta and also Chatswood Lexus. Happy with both althought the car did seem to go better after the Chatswood service - no proof just how it felt. I will certainly be taking my IS250 to Chatswood.