Hi guys

I have a 2008 is250 now done just over 50K. Had it serviced last year in Oct 45K service (had done 37K). Used to check oil etc every month, but last 4 months have been very slack and didn't bother. Anyway was coming home 2 days ago and on a steep decline the "low engine oil " light came on. I almost panicked! Then came the incline and the ligh went off. Drove another 3km to home. Checked the dipstick and the oil was 1-2mm under the lower mark!! Took the other car and bought 2L of new oil and put that in. Called lexus (service was already booked for next Monday) the service guy there said some consumption is normal....but all of the oil almost?? I checked where I normally park and at home, no oil stains visible.

Anyway the guy said they will have a look when they service the car to see if there are any problems.

Any things I should get the guys to specifically check. I then looked up online and see they have a TSIB over in the US for that.

Any advice would be appreciated fellas :(. I have attached the TSIB for reference :D Lexus bulletin.pdf

Had a similar problem at 85,000 (Im at 91k now). Every 5k or so, I check the oil level anyhow, and occasionally have had to top up over the life of the car. Some consumption is to be expected (it is actually made reference to in the Owners Manual), but perhaps not as much as you've experienced.

Made mention of it at my 90k service to the Service Manager, and they put a different oil in this time (I think it was 80W viscosity, as opposed to 30 or 40 - sorry I dont know much about oil!). But they said that was the issue - that Lexus are finding with the IS250 that by putting a different type of oil in (different viscosity) it is fixing the problem.

Perhaps someone with more idea on engine oil could post a reply?!

Hi guys

Sorry haven't replied earlier. Service was moved over to friday( guy picking the car up called in sick! :gav: ), so don't know yet. I did notive a bit of rough idling when stopping at lights but very rarely. I have printed both the TSIBs and will give it to the Tech when he picks up the car just so they know I know about the problem.

Will check the oil level tommorrow to see if it has dropped. I am defintely considering getting the extended warranty as the warranty runs out in Jan 2013.

Hey iinkz, what problems have you had exactly??

Jeff

Sapphire, where do you service your car and does it drive differently after different oil put in it?

i have noticed some cars perform better when the right oil is put in it and sluggish when not

The 90k book service is massive - every filter in the car as well as what I mentioned above. Most noticeable change in performance over the life of the car to date - just need to get myself a couple of new tyres next month to complete the package as it were. (BTW, Im based in Melbourne!).

I got the low oil light today! Changed the oil/filter and it was nasty. I have just about hit 100k last service was at 90k and the oil looks bad.

Car has always idled/driven fine.

• 7 months later...

the "low oil level" light came up for me today too.

Had a look and the oil level was dangerously low.

Not pleased considering that we sent our IS250 in for her 90,000km service to the usual Lexus dealer here in Melbourne about 8 months ago and she has only travelled about 9,000km since.

I'm going to have to squeeze time to bring her into Lexus tomorrow (being a monday, time is tight). Has anyone had the same experience and brought their IS250 into Lexus? Did Lexus do a top up for free or did they charge extra for it?

I'm suspecting either the engine burnt a little too much oil, OR they short filled the car (requires 6 litres but perhaps significanty less than that was filled in).

quite odd topic this. i have never heard of a lexus or toyota engine ever chewing through oil. I give my cars a real hard time both in my 2 is200's and my is250 and the oil level does not budge!!

• 2 weeks later...

I see plenty of Toyotas that have oil usage issues. It all come down to what oil you're using. Google NOACK >> http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/what_is_the_noack_volatility_test.htm

If you're experiencing evaporation loss then you need to look for an oil with low NOACK & a high base number. 10w30 were generally good for this but I'm finding mineral 10w30 struggles in late model VVTi engines. I'd try an oil like Motul 8100 X-clean 5w30 & see if that sorts the problem, if not then Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 will

Well, how old is your IS250?

I asked the mechanic at the Lexus service centre and he said they burn up a little more oil as they age.

Like you, this came as a surprise to me as my other cars which were a good 7-13 yrs old never really had this issue. Perhaps it was because i had always used fully synthetic oil.

quite odd topic this. i have never heard of a lexus or toyota engine ever chewing through oil. I give my cars a real hard time both in my 2 is200's and my is250 and the oil level does not budge!!

Does anyone know who is the OEM company behind the engine oil that the lexus dealers used?

You mentioned mineral oil. Hmmm.... I thought these things were extinct. Please don't tell me Lexus is using them in their service? I will seriously be crossed.

I see plenty of Toyotas that have oil usage issues. It all come down to what oil you're using. Google NOACK >> http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/what_is_the_noack_volatility_test.htm

If you're experiencing evaporation loss then you need to look for an oil with low NOACK & a high base number. 10w30 were generally good for this but I'm finding mineral 10w30 struggles in late model VVTi engines. I'd try an oil like Motul 8100 X-clean 5w30 & see if that sorts the problem, if not then Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 will

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I bought a 2007 IS 250 with 58000km on it. I did an oil change (Penrite HPR 5) at that time and now find that some 7000km later the low oil warning came on.

I found that I needed to put almost 2 litres of oil into it, as the oil point was about 2 mm from the bottom of the stick!

I read the TSIB from the US and find they (Toyota) put the wrong pistons and/or rings in the 2005-2010 models and the fix is basically an engine rebuild where the inlet valves are also either serviced or replaced (direct injection and oil usage consequence).

It seems logical to me that the US problem would be an Australian problem as I believe that the engines are all made in the same place(s) ie southern Japan.

The question is; has anyone come across a TSIB for this problem in Australia? Also does this problem exist for the GS 300 in the same time period?

I have had three Lexus vehicles; this may well be my last!

Thanks for the web site...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the post.

Is your mates car the IS 250, and which dealer is doing the rebuild. Did they give him the runaround?

It is interesting to note that the GS 300 of the same era is also having the same problems in the US.

The clowns in Adelaide Lexus are pretending this is an isolated issue!

One can forgive a failure in the factory for a short time...even a year, but to have the problem from 2005 through 2010 is unforgivable!

This company (Toyota) built its reputation on quality control...if you drill down into information on other Lexus vehicles you will find that there have been a number of problems over the years...even one with the LS460 and valve springs!

As far as I am concerned this is the last Lexus I will own.

IS250

Lexus of Parramatta

I don't think they gave him much trouble. He was pretty direct with them with how disappointed he was. Didn't meet his expectations etc. and they rebuilt the engine.

Don't use Penright, it's average at best. Try something like Mobil1 0w40 (or if you want something a bit cheaper Shell Helix Ultra 5w40) next service & see if the problem persist. These engine require decent oil, something with a low NOACK

I've used Mobil 10w40 and the problem did persist.

Honestly, which authority (ie. motoring association, etc) can we go to lodge a case and have Lexus Australia do a batch rectification (since the IS250 is one of its breadwinners)?

If there is one, perhaps it's worth our time doing something there?

Don't use Penright, it's average at best. Try something like Mobil1 0w40 (or if you want something a bit cheaper Shell Helix Ultra 5w40) next service & see if the problem persist. These engine require decent oil, something with a low NOACK

^^^ Do you people have documented evidence of what has been happening? If you feel you are getting the run around I'd recommend you put your complaints in writing and also ask the dealers in question to put their response in writing. Even if you don't get a desired outcome they will scrutinize the car before putting their opinion in writing as there is a lot more liability that comes with written opinions.

How much did they charge him or did they rebuild the engine on their costs (which I doubt)?

My mate just had his engine rebuilt by Lexus for this exact reason.

He has extended warranty so they rebuilt it free of charge.