Hi,

On a full Tank of Petrol in your IS 250 / 350 / F, how many KM's can you achieve?

on my 2007 IS 250 i could easily get 550-565Kms+ on a full tank,(with 17" wheels)

BUT ever since i put on my 18" F sport Wheels, i can only get around 450-485kms!.. around 100kms less!

the wheels aren't that much heavier i dont think, and i always use Premium Unleaded 95 petrol,

Any recommendations as to how i can improve my MPG/Kms Range will be appreciated,

i only use the ETC/PWR mode every so often too,

here are some recent pics of my 2007 is250:

BTW Does the LED DRL / having all Lights ON in the DAYTIME use more pertrol, ?

j0qs.jpg

g4no.jpg

9370.jpg

BUT ever since i put on my 18" F sport Wheels, i can only get around 450-485kms!.. around 100kms less!

You 18" wheels would have changed the rolling diameter, resulting in a speedo error which will also impact the odometer.

That probably accounts for most of the difference you see here - you can calculate difference in rolling dia if you have the tyre profile of both tyres.

If you have gone up in rim size but have then used the correct tyre size, your speedo should not be affected.

I have 20inch wheels on mine, and mine speedo is correct (within tolerances)

+ in regards to fuel economy, bigger 'heavier' wheels will decrease your economy, I think I get just under 500 now on BP 98

I have 18" wheels and can easily do over 650km on a tank full of petrol travelling to and from work, with a few litres still left in the tank. In December last year, I drove from Sydney to Melbourne without the need to refill, until I reached Melbourne.

I have 18" wheels and can easily do over 650km on a tank full of petrol travelling to and from work, with a few litres still left in the tank. In December last year, I drove from Sydney to Melbourne without the need to refill, until I reached Melbourne.

Wow how do you get it so high?

What is your tank usage (km/100? )

do you use unleaded 95 or 98?

If you have gone up in rim size but have then used the correct tyre size, your speedo should not be affected.

I have 20inch wheels on mine, and mine speedo is correct (within tolerances)

+ in regards to fuel economy, bigger 'heavier' wheels will decrease your economy, I think I get just under 500 now on BP 98

Will using unleaded 98 petrol give higher cruising range?

You 18" wheels would have changed the rolling diameter, resulting in a speedo error which will also impact the odometer.

That probably accounts for most of the difference you see here - you can calculate difference in rolling dia if you have the tyre profile of both tyres.

Interesting! I used to have 17" wheels,

FRONT tyres were 225/45 R17 ,REAR tyres were 245/45 R17, Now I have FSport 18" Wheels,

FRONT tyres are 225/35 R18 ,REAR tyres are 225/40 R18 (these new tyres have a lower profile than before,)

I have an IS350 F Sport and a heavy foot, when I give it some she certainly likes a drink.

I got the 350 because I wanted more Grunt than the 250

She runs on unleaded 98 and I couldn't care what the fuel consumption was, I just love the power

and the way she handles.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if I was worried about fuel consumption I would have bought a Corolla.

I have an IS350 F Sport and a heavy foot, when I give it some she certainly likes a drink.

I got the 350 because I wanted more Grunt than the 250

She runs on unleaded 98 and I couldn't care what the fuel consumption was, I just love the power

and the way she handles.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if I was worried about fuel consumption I would have bought a Corolla.

Lol I would buy a used Prius if I was worried about fuel consumption, not a corolla!,

I do drive the IS with a heavy foot when required,(e.g Overtaking/ lane changing),.. the is250 has enough power for city driving,

You could even buy 2x used is 250s vs 1x is 350, although the extra power in the 350 is good, would love to drive an isF!!

But I was trying to workout why an extra 1" upsize from 17" to 18" takes away over 100kms of my cruising range!!

Nice 2012 is350! Btw,How many Kim's do you get (cruising range)?

Wow how do you get it so high?

What is your tank usage (km/100? )

do you use unleaded 95 or 98?

I'm actually a really sedate driver. According to my car, I'm averaging 8.2litres / 100km city driving, although in reality it seems to be closer to 9 litres.

I use 98 in summer and 95 in winter.

My tank average is around 430km IS350 F Sport...

The computer shows 12.5 Ltrs/100 Ks

17ltrs/100 tank average....65 litre fuel tank

I would say the real average would be around 15 Ltrs/100 Ks.

My tank average is around 430km IS350 F Sport...

The computer shows 12.5 Ltrs/100 Ks

17ltrs/100 tank average....65 litre fuel tank

I would say the real average would be around 15 Ltrs/100 Ks.

thats very high

my 350 averages around 11 max

my ISF is on 13-14 most of the time

I agree, but I'm not doing any long trips and I do like to give it now and then.

The fact that the engine has only done 6500 ks may have a little to do with it as well,

I may be wrong but I think my fuel consumption will improve a little after 10,000 ks,,

If not i'll question it at my next service.

Can you please tell me how to quote the last post on your reply page, I hit the quote button but nothing happens.

Cheers..

Can you please tell me how to quote the last post on your reply page, I hit the quote button but nothing happens.

Cheers..

Don't use Internet Explorer. I'm using Chrome to quote you.

Cheers..

Don't use Internet Explorer. I'm using Chrome to quote you.

Great Thanks......

I agree, but I'm not doing any long trips and I do like to give it now and then.

The fact that the engine has only done 6500 ks may have a little to do with it as well,

I may be wrong but I think my fuel consumption will improve a little after 10,000 ks,,

If not i'll question it at my next service.

Cheers..

u just quote and write?

Interesting! I used to have 17" wheels,

FRONT tyres were 225/45 R17 ,REAR tyres were 245/45 R17, Now I have FSport 18" Wheels,

FRONT tyres are 225/35 R18 ,REAR tyres are 225/40 R18 (these new tyres have a lower profile than before,)

numbers above seem a bit incorrect - esp for rear tyres... the new R18 tyres are skinnier that the old 245 R17 ?

Assuming that the old was 245/45 R17 and new is 245/40/R18 - the dia difference is just less than 1cm. This wouldn't lead to much speedo & odo errors - Anyway, I ran some calculations, it comes to only 0.6 meters over 450Kms of travel - i.e this doesn't account for your issue.

It's likely that there has been some other change causing efficiency - new setup heavier than older etc. I've also seen some discussion threads on the rolling dia changing the RPM at which the engine revs - difference in the cruising RPM will impact the fuel efficiency - no calculations here, but 100km does seem like a lot...

OP, when you confirm the before and after tyre sizes (as Spec said, there's something not quite right there - typo?), please also let us know the air pressures you've been using on both the old and new sets of tyres.