Hello to everyone. I am new owner of an old Lexus with headlight troubles. I recently purchased a used 2013 3rd Gen Lexus IS250 fsport and I have noticed that the headlights are very dim and not illuminating as much. Upon inspection, the previous owner has fitted an generic LED with its wires bare exposed and shoved into the power supply clip and held together with some tapes. As soon as I touched it, the tape came off, the wires fell off and the LED bulb came loose. I am trying to restore to original state but the workshop I went to quotes $500 each for the ballast and $295 each for the D4SĀ globes. All together, he quotes $1865. So, I have trying to do it myself but could not get the parts. Can anyone direct me to the correct parts? Or do any of you have the correct parts for sale? I am desperate. Any help is appreciated.

If the previous owner has played around with the lights (and done a shocking job of it by the sounds of it) then its likely the car did not come with xenon lights from the factory (because if it did, you would not replace the xenons with sub quality LED's unless he was an idiot).

You will need to post up a few photos showing the plug and general area at the back of the headlights for us to give more info, but it sounds like you will need to buy 2x new headlightĀ bulbs (consult the owners manual to see what style of bulb is required).

If you want to fit xenons, then i would recommend purchasing a set of good quality aftermarket xenons (includes bulbs, ballasts and wiring) from a company such as Morimoto or Phillips.

Easy way to tell is if there are headlight washer covers on top of the bumper directly in line with the lights then you have hid's

If not then you just need generic halogens.

ok i think we need to get some few things straight here

3rd Gen IS250 do not run LEDs as factory so they can not be changed

3rd Gen IS250 do not run Halogens so aftermarket LED kit can not be installed

is250 3rd Gen runs HID so im confused now

i can fix and upgrade your headlights no worries but illl need some more info

ok i actually got wat u said

so the ballast and everything has been removed

righto

we can get a whole oem kit with evertything installed for much cheaper than lexus

please pm me if your want to go ahead

13 minutes ago, ilv1004s said:

so the ballast and everything has been removed

So the previous owner has removed a perfectly good OEM xenon kit, and fitted some rubbish ebay LED's? My god some people are idiots.

7 minutes ago, _ISF said:

So the previous owner has removed a perfectly good OEM xenon kit, and fitted some rubbish ebay LED's? My god some people are idiots.

yeap i gotcha i can reverse your whole car but ill have to inspect it first to see how far the previous owner has removed the wiring

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I was off the grid and couldnā€™t reply. I will take some pictures and post it to better explain. But yes, the previous owner basically removed the ballast and D4S globe and replaced with cheap LEDs.Ā 

I have since sourced the D4S globes from the UK (powerbulbs) and ballast from eBay. I hope this is the right ballast.Ā 

6984AAAF-3D4F-422B-AD7F-E0AFD5F71181.jpeg

On 1/25/2019 at 10:11 AM, ilv1004s said:

ok i think we need to get some few things straight here

3rd Gen IS250 do not run LEDs as factory so they can not be changed

3rd Gen IS250 do not run Halogens so aftermarket LED kit can not be installed

is250 3rd Gen runs HID so im confused now

i can fix and upgrade your headlights no worries but illl need some more info

I have referred to the owners manual and it says D4S globe for replacement. Ā The LED is put in there as aftermarket like this without those male clipins. Instead the wire is cut and shoved into the female clip in of the power supply for the head light.

A6A355CE-8B39-4741-83A0-2B39250600D9.jpeg

On 2/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, ilv1004s said:

yeah thats where the ballast and everytrhing should be

we can go through the whole car and see what needs doing

pm me if you wanna book the car in

Thank you for the kind offer but I have solved the problem. The Ballast which I ordered along with the OSRAM D4S globe works. Only problem now is adjusting the beam so itā€™s level and not so much towards left.

2 adj, one on top, other in hole under top of guard.

Do not turn to much, also turn car on and off to check auto levellers work before each adj.

Ā 

Edit: This is for series 2

20170324_080522 Medium_zpsrjlerckj.jpg

Hi, my previous post and experience with HID globes on an 2007 is250 - it had aftermarket globes and they would dim and flicker randomlyĀ Ā 

Ā 

Gidday fellas,

So a read a lot, looked at Youtube videos that were available, spoke to a few knowledgeable people and also my trusty local mechanic. (good mate)

Lexus wanted $1600.00 plus GST per housing, which I was serious thinking about doing.

Lexus wreckers wanted $440.00 per housing for 2006 - 2007 housings, didn't give this a second thought as I wouldĀ only end up with old housings again.

After all my reading online both here and OS on forums etc, one person said to replace with new Lexus original globes and this will fix the problem.

So I brought 2 x new HID globes for $350.00 each from Lexus and fitted them up.

Fixed the problem straight away. They are perfect and super bright. I ran the car for 1 hour, not a flicker or fault for either side.Ā 

So there you go, Lexus housings do not like Phillips low beam globes, I don't care what you think as I put up with this inferior standard lighting for two years and paid $100 dollars for *BLEEP* Phillips after market globes thinking it would help, but no it didn't, so its original all the wayĀ for me from now on with anything to do with lighting on this car.

The Phillips globes would workĀ for 15 minutes, then flicked off and on, would go out completely on either side at random intervals.

Even my local mechanic was a little amazed, yes the cost is hard to justify but it fixed the problem and aĀ lot cheaper than the cost of 2 x new housing..

ItĀ is not a ballast issue, ballasts never fail in Oz as our climate is to mild, so consider your globes, and consider Lexus genuine parts on thisĀ issue, oh please don't get me wrong, I love a bargain and always go for aftermarket parts, but this is a lesson learnt :)

Cheers GrantĀ