Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum as i've recently purchased a Lexus IS 250 Sports Luxury from Lexus of Chatswood in Sydney. When i 1st test drove the car, i was extremely disappointed with the limited headroom in the cabin(moonroof equipped). Because of that, i had no choice but to order one without the moonroof which didn't make my wife happy! She just loves the airy feel that the moonroof offers. Another disappointing feature in the car which has heaps of technology is the foot operated parking brake... i just felt that Lexus could have installed an electronic parking brake, similar to the LS 460 or at the very least, a proper handbrake. Lastly, i felt that the gear upshifts progressed too quickly... and that somehow affects quick acceleration in my opinion.

However, having mentioned all the bad stuff, i am overall impressed with the stability of the car on tight corners! it managed to negotiate most corners with minimal body roll thus inspiring confidence. Brakes are has got a real meaty bite to it and the modulation is absolutely spot on...yet another confidence builder. Gadgets...well, what can i say... top class audio system, idiot-proof navigation system, cleverly thought of heated/ventilated seats with memory and yes, those auto tilt side mirrors when reverse gear is engaged! Of course...many many more.

I would love to hear what all of you have to share.... so hope to hear from you soon.

p/s: the '08 IS250s has a really classy white coloured LED scuff plate... which somehow made the older blue LED scuffs tacky.

Ghast

We may need to swap wives, mine doesn't like the moonroof open :blink:

I'm 6' an have no issue with headroom. I do like the footbrake, again because the wife complains I pull the handbrake on too hard in our other cars.

It really is a great place to sit whilst transporting yourself from one spot to the next. I'm still smiling and I've had mine nearly a year. :P

[disappointed with the limited headroom]

Did you forgotten to adjust the seat's height? Did the Chatswood salesman remind you to?

[gear upshifts progressed too quickly... ]

[foot operated parking brake... ]

You should have brought a manual. The manual has proper handbrake. Driving the manual is much more fun.

However you do have the levers at your steering wheel, so you can pretend to be a formula one driver.

Maybe you should have brought a Nissan Maxima. It has the CVT auto. The CVT is a step less transmission. It provides virtually limitless number of gear ratios for smoother acceleration. I wonder if the next IS250 will adopt this new technology.

[idiot-proof navigation system,]

The SATNAV don’t have the flexibility to upload point of interest, speed camera, customise voice straight from the Internet. Its kind of boring without it.

[disappointed with the limited headroom]

Did you forgotten to adjust the seat's height? Did the Chatswood salesman remind you to?

[gear upshifts progressed too quickly... ]

[foot operated parking brake... ]

You should have brought a manual. The manual has proper handbrake. Driving the manual is much more fun.

However you do have the levers at your steering wheel, so you can pretend to be a formula one driver.

Maybe you should have brought a Nissan Maxima. It has the CVT auto. The CVT is a step less transmission. It provides virtually limitless number of gear ratios for smoother acceleration. I wonder if the next IS250 will adopt this new technology.

[idiot-proof navigation system,]

The SATNAV don’t have the flexibility to upload point of interest, speed camera, customise voice straight from the Internet. Its kind of boring without it.

I did adjust the height of the seat but the gap between the roof and my head was too close for comfort. i'm just thinking of what may happen in the event my car does roll over y'know.

As for the manual, i really do not fancy driving one with the stop-start traffic in sydney and furthermore, i believe that the sports luxury variant didn't come with manual. So yeah, i'm just coming from a practical standpoint.

It's funny now that you mentioned about the Nissan Maxima cos my neighbour owns a Maxima Ti. I drove it twice and i didn't feel that it was luxurious as what a top of the line Nissan sedan should be. But i guess you get what you pay for... you pay peanuts, you get monkeys!

Hmmmm....SATNAV, i haven't got the chance to really explore the SATNAV's fullest potential yet but i gotta agree with you regarding the lack of flexibility. Prior to this, i've used one of those TOM TOM nav system and i felt that despite the smaller screen, the road directions were more legible than the lexus one. Oh well, i'm sure it's all a matter of getting used to it.

Anyway, thanks for highlighting the SATNAV part, i will certainly pay more attention to it when i get my hands on it!

Cheers!

I got the Prestige and now that people say the SAT NAT are very limited, i am glad i didnt get the Luxury models.

25K premium over the Prestige is not something im willing to pay even though it's got a few other goodies too.

Hi

I purchased an 07 IS250 Sports Luxury two weeks ago - would be interested in hearing about your $$ negotiations for the 08 model.

I LOVE my car. Height isn't an issue (I'm short) and I don't mind the foot brake as my previous car also had one.

I am loving the auto headlights and the auto windscreen wipers.

My husband likes the gear "paddles" but I prefer to pop it in auto

The Sat Nav is great but I hate that you (the passenger) can not enter a destination whilst the vehicle is moving

Bluetooth is awesome and very clear. I did have to purchase a new phone as my old Motorola didn't auto pair but so worth it. I just jump in the car and the phone and the car auto connect. NICE!

Needless to say - I love all the gagets

Hi

I purchased an 07 IS250 Sports Luxury two weeks ago - would be interested in hearing about your $$ negotiations for the 08 model.

Hi Lexy... i feel that it would be most unethical and unfair(to my dealer) if i posted the price i paid for my 08 IS 250 on a public forum. Feel free to email me... pennyblack77@hotmail.com.

I hope that you will understand where i'm coming from.

Sorry - meant more about how the price negotiations went rather than an actual dollar figure.

We spoke to four different Lexus dealers in three different cities.

The difference in attitude and negotiating style was variable - all were polite and willing to negotiate, some were better than others and the final one was by far the best - VERY knowledgeable on the vehicle, nice without being a suckup, conversant without being condescending. I would definately recommend them and buy from them again (if I could afford a 2nd Lexus LOL).

We also looked at a Benz. I was very disappointed with the salesmen there. We approached them on two separate occasions (about 4 months apart). The first time the salesmen was supposed to get back to us with a trade in price and just never called. The second time (same dealership different salesman) I asked for his best price - cash no trade - ready to sign TODAY and he took 2 days to get back to me with a $2,000 discount - WHAT??!! only $2,000 on an immediate cash no trade sale on an $89,000 car??????

WTF? 2 days to think about $2K discount on their 10-15K profit?

More like 2 seconds, not 2 days. I would have said to them, "Wrong price dude!" and hang up.

I know I was speechless - 2 days to get back to me AND only after he asked the dealer principle for permission to discount $2K. I have never dealt with a dealership before that had to ask the dealer principles permission for the first offer - they don't usually get involved until the VERY end and really should never have to get involved. The salesman should know how much room they have to move in each and every car (new or used) and know the sales targets for the month and know how close they are. Next time a salesman tries the "I have to talk to my boss" I am going to tell them "if you don't know your product well enough to do the negotiation yourself - I will deal with your boss direct and not with you - and he can earn the commission."

Needless to say I am driving a very nice IS250 Luxury Sport and NOT a Benz!!!!!!!! And I was very very happy with Lexus sales.

Benz' loss not mine - I LOVE my Lexus

I know I was speechless - 2 days to get back to me AND only after he asked the dealer principle for permission to discount $2K. I have never dealt with a dealership before that had to ask the dealer principles permission for the first offer - they don't usually get involved until the VERY end and really should never have to get involved. The salesman should know how much room they have to move in each and every car (new or used) and know the sales targets for the month and know how close they are. Next time a salesman tries the "I have to talk to my boss" I am going to tell them "if you don't know your product well enough to do the negotiation yourself - I will deal with your boss direct and not with you - and he can earn the commission."

Needless to say I am driving a very nice IS250 Luxury Sport and NOT a Benz!!!!!!!! And I was very very happy with Lexus sales.

Benz' loss not mine - I LOVE my Lexus

I have had exactly the same experience in Parramatta NSW. My preference lent towards Benz C280. I test drove it and when I came to negotiate Benz would not move. Then I asked for a one day loan of the car to take it for a decent cruise to close the deal. NO WAY! I was told. My response was that I don't spend $90k on a five minute spin with a yabbering salesman in my ear. I left them thinking and deliberately walked across the road to Lexus. a bit downmarket in the showroom, no cappucinno on tap, but just as friendly. I went for the short spin and asked for an all day loan, NO WORRIES! I took it for a day and put in an order for a Sport Luxury (Pearl white with light grey interior). I am happy but deep inside I wanted a car that looked like a Benz on the outside and had all the technology of a Lexus on the inside. I am still waiting for delivery end of March. I added a full WALD Executive body kit to lift the agressive stance a bit.

I have had exactly the same experience in Parramatta NSW. My preference lent towards Benz C280. I test drove it and when I came to negotiate Benz would not move. Then I asked for a one day loan of the car to take it for a decent cruise to close the deal. NO WAY! I was told. My response was that I don't spend $90k on a five minute spin with a yabbering salesman in my ear. I left them thinking and deliberately walked across the road to Lexus. a bit downmarket in the showroom, no cappucinno on tap, but just as friendly. I went for the short spin and asked for an all day loan, NO WORRIES! I took it for a day and put in an order for a Sport Luxury (Pearl white with light grey interior). I am happy but deep inside I wanted a car that looked like a Benz on the outside and had all the technology of a Lexus on the inside. I am still waiting for delivery end of March. I added a full WALD Executive body kit to lift the agressive stance a bit.

Same here with Lexus of Parramatta - At the end of the day they gave me the best price for my '08 Built Prestige as some of the other dealers either took too long to get back to me.

I was happy with the sale and I wasn't pressured. I've almost finished my run-in period and the car has been great ever since day 1.

Run in period????? Are we supposed to be doing something special in a run in period??? I'm just get in and drive - should I be doing something special?????

Run in period????? Are we supposed to be doing something special in a run in period??? I'm just get in and drive - should I be doing something special?????

For the first 1000kms, you are supposed to take it easy with the engine and let it run in a little bit i.e. not rev the engine over 3500 rpm too much etc. Once you hit the 1000Km mark your dealer will give the car a check-up to make sure everything is running as it should be.

• 1 month later...

German arrogance abounds by the sounds of things! Prior to getting my is250, I wanted a German. Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz have a lot to learn. If its not the endless options list (a centre armrest and remote boot release as an option for the A4 - c'mon Audi - get real!), or the hard push and spin, its their refusal to discuss as adults about a price. Well I can safely say - happy to leave the Germans to polish their badges and join the Lexus family. Oh yeah, and for my 60K hard earned - nothing comes close to my 250.

Rumour - Late 2009 should see an is250 facelift (current shape and drivetrain is with us til 2011 I believe), which could include an electronic park brake among other things such as more standard features in the prestige. With the new A4 and C-class out, and Alfa now dropping their price a few grand, Lexus will need to build on the momentum and interest generated is the IS with the launch of the IS-F.

Mate i agree with you on the hard earn and return for 60 BIG ones. If you are going to spend heaps you'd want it to last and Lexus quality has to be above Toyota if not same lol.

Be interesting to see the 3rd gen IS.

Would you guys consider Alfa, Saab and Volvo to also be on your shopping list when you guys looked for an IS250? Oh I wish that the IS220d came in though... but it only comes in a manual I've heard... or better still IS350... *drool drool*

I did test drive some Alfa (147, 156, 159) - and nice cars, but reliability issues, poor customer service and ordinary transmissions (both manual and auto) lost it for me (I have a couple of friends with Alfas - they swear they'll never get one again - very temperamental cars. Volvo - ordinary interior and still overpriced for what you get. Saab - either you love em or hate em. Well and Iam of the latter. Surprised that the 220d hasnt made it here (particularly with Alfa, Audi and BMW - all with diesel variants in their competing models). When I was in L.A late last year, the 350s are EVERYWHERE, so no doubt they'd be a hit here too. But with IS-F around the corner, there is no way Lexus Australia will introduce the 350 now.

I do valet work part time and i can GUARANTEE you that Alfas, volvos, Citreons etc qauailities are worse than the average Fords and Holdens. Apart from the qualities, they are not well built and don't really have anything interms of performance, handling nor confort. These cars are not for Austalia use imo.

When browsing for my IS, i only had BMW to ponder on.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Prestige about one month ago, after eyeing the car for a long, long time (similar to many here I imagine). Very happy so far, except for lesser head room (I'm 6'2" and have to remember to slouch just a little for better comfort; it doesn't help that I like a "shocked" hairstyle).

A couple of odd things happened at the start such as finding my car with its roof open and windows half-down, as if I had held down the Unlock button on the remote. Only occured once but weird nonetheless. Also had the door not immediately respond to my touch to unlock the door, but again just the once.

What really got me into the shop (Parra) was when I read about the X - I've always liked how relatively understated Lexus ads are e.g. I only heard of the X when visiting the Lexus website itself. The list of extras for the X only made me go even more gaga for the car, so I headed in for a look. The salesperson was, of course, more than helpful which was a refreshing change from the usual shysters that populate car yards. Yes I know they're all after the one and same thing, but style and civility counts too.

Anyway I was given ample opportunity to test drive the car - went three times (X, Sports Lux and Prestige) and it turned out I liked the Prestige the most. The price tag didn't decide ultimately it for me though I was acutely aware of the price differences, but the ride did. I've never been a big fan of suspension being too firm even when I'm aware of the benefits (my first car was a pretend 4WD so that was enough). Didn't care too much for the scuff plates so I decided what the heck, get the Prestige with Enhancement Pack.

So the rest is pretty much history.

What are my thoughts one month on?

Still learning how to coax the engine along, and it's responding better and better with time. Quite a bitch to keep clean with black, but hey, it's the only colour I would go with so that's my cross to bear. If I looked hard enough, it's easy to tell that they've used some Toyota switchgear. While we can write reams about this, in the end Lexus used components that work and work well (and look ok).

I'm also still getting used to the VERY thick C pillars. They add to the muscular look of the car, but gosh check out the blind spot! Reversing is usually a slow business, especially for angled parking!

Pretty much the one thing I wish it had are HID. Don't get me wrong, the standard headlights work perfectly fine. HID completes the look IMHO but I'm not terribly fussed about it. And yes, I've read sidey's post elsewhere.

In my circumstances right now, it was a hefty purchase but no regrets at all and I know for a fact that I'll be a very satisfied IS owner long beyond the first four years. Cheers!

haz

PS Shortly after my car was delivered, I was at the local shopping centre. I was waiting at the lights, saw a couple of young punks cruise by in their newish-looking Euro Accord. They looked at me, and I gave them the "yeah that's right" look. Highly satisfying... :P

• 3 weeks later...
Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum as i've recently purchased a Lexus IS 250 Sports Luxury from Lexus of Chatswood in Sydney. When i 1st test drove the car, i was extremely disappointed with the limited headroom in the cabin(moonroof equipped). Because of that, i had no choice but to order one without the moonroof which didn't make my wife happy! She just loves the airy feel that the moonroof offers. Another disappointing feature in the car which has heaps of technology is the foot operated parking brake... i just felt that Lexus could have installed an electronic parking brake, similar to the LS 460 or at the very least, a proper handbrake. Lastly, i felt that the gear upshifts progressed too quickly... and that somehow affects quick acceleration in my opinion.

However, having mentioned all the bad stuff, i am overall impressed with the stability of the car on tight corners! it managed to negotiate most corners with minimal body roll thus inspiring confidence. Brakes are has got a real meaty bite to it and the modulation is absolutely spot on...yet another confidence builder. Gadgets...well, what can i say... top class audio system, idiot-proof navigation system, cleverly thought of heated/ventilated seats with memory and yes, those auto tilt side mirrors when reverse gear is engaged! Of course...many many more.

I would love to hear what all of you have to share.... so hope to hear from you soon.

p/s: the '08 IS250s has a really classy white coloured LED scuff plate... which somehow made the older blue LED scuffs tacky.

I guess the foot-brake is each to their own, i quite like it. I was given a mercedes for the long weekend recently, which was equipped with an electronic brake and i didnt like it.

As for the acceleration and gear ratio, you may be like me and come from a larger / faster car. I drove an XR before this and was accustomed to a 4.0ltr V6. I really noticed the power difference when i changed to the lexus. In saying that, it is quite a fast 2.5ltr V6.

You may be better off driving it in manual mode, or wearing some heavier shoes! :D

I got the Prestige and now that people say the SAT NAT are very limited, i am glad i didnt get the Luxury models.

25K premium over the Prestige is not something im willing to pay even though it's got a few other goodies too.

You arent paying just for the sat nav, you get the reversing camera, sunroof, dvd player and amazing mark levinson sound system. Whether you're young like me, and enjoy pumping up the bass, or just like the clarity of a decent speaker - the sound system alone is worth the $9000 upgrade (for prestige models).

• 2 weeks later...
The Sat Nav is great but I hate that you (the passenger) can not enter a destination whilst the vehicle is moving

I believe youtube have clips on how to disable this feature although the trick might depend on the model year of the car.