Is The Sat/nav Package Really Worth It?

When it comes to trade in time, the dealer will use the red book to value the car and they dont care if the SAT/NAV/Reverse Camera/Mark Levinson/sun roof are installed or not. . If you are thinking about buying a new is250 bare this in mine. The extra $8000 may be me all written off very quickly. You might get more if privately selling it, but I would be sceptical to invite strangers to test drive my lexus and then trust them for a $45,000+ potential doggy cheque.

When it comes to trade in time, the dealer will use the red book to value the car and they dont care if the SAT/NAV/Reverse Camera/Mark Levinson/sun roof are installed or not. . If you are thinking about buying a new is250 bare this in mine. The extra $8000 may be me all written off very quickly. You might get more if privately selling it, but I would be sceptical to invite strangers to test drive my lexus and then trust them for a $45,000+ potential doggy cheque.

My understanding is a bit different. The prestige, sport and sport luxury are defined models in the red book and attract different values. Your comment would be better placed against Mercedes Benz C Class where the base model is valued in the red book (C200, C280) but not all the extras you have to add. The moonroof ($4500) SatNav($3900), Avante Garde front ($5700) seat memory keyless entry, illuminated scuff plates($1200) and so it goes on. At least the Lexus comes loaded with all the gear at the three stated model levels and is valued as such.

Your comment on the value of satnav is also better answered in saying that built in car satnav is good for street navigation but no warnings of speed cameras, red light cameras, school zones, bus lanes etc such as a $500 Garmin Nuvi has. I have satnav in my Lexus but also have hard wired the Garmin under the dash to give me the other warnings. i can take the Garmin out, update it on the net and put it back in the car.

The Lexus satnav still is useful for streets, reversing and touch screen management of all the other features. The car would be harder to navigate without it.

I agree with Natroth.

The car is sold 'as is' and so will depreciate from there. BMW, Merc, Audi et al, all give a fairly basic car and it's very easy to then add loads of money for sports suspension, satnav, moonroof, xenon lights, radar cruise etc etc etc. that will never be added to the car before depreciation starts, especially for redbook.

One of the very reasons I went with the Lexus, and still love it.

Are you referring to the models outside Australia? The Prestige and Sport don’t come with the SatNav as standard. The prestige option cost $8,188 +GST and sport cost 6,600 + GST. Sport Lux is the only model that includes the SavNav package.

If you add the SatNav option to the Prestige, you will immediately lose $9006.8 according to the Redbook. This is right up the alley of European cars. The official Lexus Aust. web site has a list of Accessories that will Pimp your ride. They are cool and I dream about having them. If you don’t mind losing $9006.8, might as well spend another 10K of Lexus accessories starting with the tow bar $1500+GST. Not me though, family want a holiday.

lol with the interest rates *BLEEP*ting on all things debt currently, you'll be given the money to spend rather than earning it if you do spend that much.

Are you referring to the models outside Australia? The Prestige and Sport don’t come with the SatNav as standard. The prestige option cost $8,188 +GST and sport cost 6,600 + GST. Sport Lux is the only model that includes the SavNav package.

If you add the SatNav option to the Prestige, you will immediately lose $9006.8 according to the Redbook. This is right up the alley of European cars. The official Lexus Aust. web site has a list of Accessories that will Pimp your ride. They are cool and I dream about having them. If you don’t mind losing $9006.8, might as well spend another 10K of Lexus accessories starting with the tow bar $1500+GST. Not me though, family want a holiday.

No, Australian models.

Yes, if you add extras then that money is immediately lost on redbook. What I'm suggesting is you can buy 3 different levels that have various options that will depreciate from that level (unless you add extras), but the Sports luxury has it all and no other options available, therefore you are not prone to the losses. If you get a euro car and all the Lexus bits for the sports luxury you end up well over $100k on road.

If you have the prestige or sports then you would probably be better off getting your own Nav system that you can take with you.

If you look at the Redbook website when they give a valuation price, at the bottom of the webpage you actually get the following:

"Please Note:

Prices quoted include standard equipment.

However, allowance should be made for any added optional equipment. Click on "specifications" for details of standard and optional equipment"

So if you were to add Sat/Nav, moonroof etc. it would still add value to the car.

As much as i hate to say this, but it's the buyer's world not seller's when it comes to selling your car.

Some people may just want the basics in the car (ie sunroof, A/C etc) and couldnt care less about the accessories. These people just wanted the experience of owning the car and nothing else. Others who are more pedantic would want more so they might pay extra for the accessories but these type of people are bargainers and will be hard to sell to. At the end of the day, it's all about the buyer, who they are and what they are looking for.

• 1 month later...

Im a bit of an audiophile (and part time music producer), so Ill focus on the sound. I have a is250 prestige with standard Pioneer 13 spkr system, which is heaps better than any Bose 'premium' option that is out there in Alfa, Mazda etc. In fact probably the best 'standard' system Ive heard. Just been driving a loan Prestige today whilst mine is in service, and it has the Enhancement Pack. A lot of fun, but not worth the full $8000.

The Mark Levison system is a little disappointing to be honest. Better than the Pioneer no doubt - crisper top end and a fair bit louder, and extra tonal and surround controls, but not as mindblowing as I expected. The speakers dont appear to be as well matched - the woofers in the door seem overpowered by the mids and tweeters - even after fiddling with the tone and balance controls. And the surround DSP function is poorly developed - just make CDs sound muddy.

The satnav is one of the better ones Ive seen, and the bluetooth functionality is easy to use - but 8 grand's worth?.....probably half that!