Question About Car Detailing For Inside & Outside

I got this car for around 8 months and I am happy so far. I went for the car wash from a Lexus dealer and I was recommended to do a detailing which will cost $325 and they will do everything from inside to outside.

However, when I researched outside from Lexus dealer, basically car detailing cost around 100 something and I am wondering whether there are any differences? I am assuming it's the same job they do just like that they repair cars, do car wash and detail would be no exception except the price is staggering? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have NEVER done car detailing outside so I would be grateful for your advice or any experiences that you have had whether it is from lexus dealer or outside.

Also, 1 last thing, what is the recommended frequency for car detailing for a luxury car? They say it is once a year, is that right?

A proper detail which they are probably recommending would be simply a polish outside, leather treatment and armor-all on dash etc. You could buy all this stuff for under $100 and do it yourself 1-2 times a year for years.

It depends on just how much you need done. My car, being black, has developed a lot of swirl marks and needs to be buffed out to get it back to new car look. I don't have the tools so will take it to someone to get it done. I was quoted about $170 for full buff & detail (in/out) to get it to brand new look. I'll wait to get it done before making any recommendations.

Good luck with it though.

Detailing will differ from provider to provider, and even each provider will normally have different levels of service. It is best to consult the detailers regarding the service they will provide and have a look at some of the cars they have detailed under natural sunlight. A professional detail will set you back over $100 for sure - they are done by professionals using expensive products (not armor-all). But there are also some out there that charge a professional fee without providing a top job - watch out!

Done once a year, assuming the car is regularly washed, vacuumed and the insides wiped down, would be an absolute minimum in my opinion. But maybe I'm fussy. Make sure they use a quality sealer on the paintwork! (Waxes only last a few weeks). Seeing you've only had the car for 8 months, and you've already been advised to get a detail done, suggests that your current car-care arrangements are probably not up to scratch. You'll probably benefit from one done every 6 months.

Let us know which area you're in, and that way someone may be able to recommend a trusted detailer to use.

Lexus

This all depends on the definition of "detail" as used by different people.

To me, and most car cleaning place I see, a detail is simply getting the car clean-so, wash exterior, wheels, rims, and blacken the tyres. Interior is vacuum and wipe over with cloth and some spray to remove dust and smell nice.

Once detailed then you then find you need to pay extra for protection such as waxing and polishing, let alone any paint correction, and same goes for interior if you want leather conditioning, carpets cleaned etc.

So the way I look at it my car gets a detail most weekends, bt me, but will have the waxing and polishing done about 2-3 times per year, again by me. It really should be more often but that's what I get around to. Much cheaper, but then again I do enjoy doing it.

BTW I don't think it matters if the car is luxury or not, the amount of detailing really depends on your passion for your car. I see loads of BMW's driving around with front wheels that look like they have never been cleaned since purchase.........go figure

i think most of have nailed it.

no matter how much they charge, when someone mention detailing, you need to ask in detail what job they going to perform on the car, i've seen a lot of business called themself detailers, but as the other guy said, they just wash the exterior, wipe the dust in the interior with dirty clothes, put some chemical, multi purpose clean or whatever, then vacum, and last put the tyre shine, and charging you $100, all of this can be done at crystal car wash for $35 or so.(not sure how much they charge as i only used them once in my life and decide not to use them again)

i think the proper detail will cost you at least $200 depending on your car condition.it will takes a good few hours to do 1 car.

i think $375 charge from lexus is fair enough(assuming your car is badly swirl, etc), but just ask in detail what they going to do when they mention detail, and point out the area of the imperfection on/in your car and make sure if they say they can fix it, they do fix it. not just cover it with waxes.

I had my lexus detailed at Lexus of Perth. They collected it Thursday morning with a new IS250 SL dropped off for me to drive. Had my car from 8am till 5pm when they dropped it off. The did an amazing job on the outside, got rid of swirl marks I noticed on the bonnet prior, removed a few tiny scratches, and even got a minor dent out the passenger door from someone hitting it with their door. The interior the said the removed all the seats, to vaccum and shampoo and carpet surface, relube any electic rails etc for the chairs, polish the leather, they fixed what I though was a scratch on the woodgrain console, and reseated the centre speaker in the dash that they said wasnt flush with the rest of the dash. Everything was immaculate. When it was dropped off the guy said to leave the doors open for a few hours to let the fumes settle and make sure the carpet was dry completely. I didn't think much of it, but when in speaking with the dealer who I bought it from regarding something entirely different....he was irrate, and demanded they came collected my car, and detail it again as it was not seen by their quality assurance and it needed to be at the level they would put on their showroom - and that it should never of been returned with the carpet still damp. She the guy came and dropped off this time a GS series took my beatifully clean car, and they detailed it again, kept it overnight, and returned it with champagane, two waterford crystal glasses, a box of lindts chocolates, and would refuse to let me pay the quoted $450. I'm planning on taking it back there again soon after a long trip to Pemberton, just waiting for a period when its not going to rain every second day.

I had my lexus detailed at Lexus of Perth. They collected it Thursday morning with a new IS250 SL dropped off for me to drive. Had my car from 8am till 5pm when they dropped it off. The did an amazing job on the outside, got rid of swirl marks I noticed on the bonnet prior, removed a few tiny scratches, and even got a minor dent out the passenger door from someone hitting it with their door. The interior the said the removed all the seats, to vaccum and shampoo and carpet surface, relube any electic rails etc for the chairs, polish the leather, they fixed what I though was a scratch on the woodgrain console, and reseated the centre speaker in the dash that they said wasnt flush with the rest of the dash. Everything was immaculate. When it was dropped off the guy said to leave the doors open for a few hours to let the fumes settle and make sure the carpet was dry completely. I didn't think much of it, but when in speaking with the dealer who I bought it from regarding something entirely different....he was irrate, and demanded they came collected my car, and detail it again as it was not seen by their quality assurance and it needed to be at the level they would put on their showroom - and that it should never of been returned with the carpet still damp. She the guy came and dropped off this time a GS series took my beatifully clean car, and they detailed it again, kept it overnight, and returned it with champagane, two waterford crystal glasses, a box of lindts chocolates, and would refuse to let me pay the quoted $450. I'm planning on taking it back there again soon after a long trip to Pemberton, just waiting for a period when its not going to rain every second day.

that's is what's call superior customer service.

so at the end of the day, did you ended up paying anything for the detail?(the first time they detail)

Lex666,

No I never paid a cent. I offered to pay as I thought they did a great job, and was not even complaining. They were sorry they car was returned without its final quality assurance check, and said if it was it would of failed and been returned to be redone. He said they want they cars showroom quality.

The chocolates and champagne was yummy too.

I am buying my next car from Perth and then driving it back for servicing!! That is fantastic and should be the benchmark for all other dealerships. Let's hope someone at Lexus reads and takes notice of this.

Thanks for the wordings

I am actually based in Sydney

The one I got quoted from Lexus dealer i.e. $325, they said it includes cleaning outside, waxing, cleaning the leather, cleaning the interior etc, something like that. He seems to be in a rush since he didn't explain exactly what is included and I even requested a brochure but they had none! But yeah, my car colour is silver and it's not badly swirled really....but I thought its good to keep ti new and clean again

But anyways, the recommendation for detailing in Sydney would be greatly appreciated as long as they do it cheap, good and professionally.

Thanks

Detailing will differ from provider to provider, and even each provider will normally have different levels of service. It is best to consult the detailers regarding the service they will provide and have a look at some of the cars they have detailed under natural sunlight. A professional detail will set you back over $100 for sure - they are done by professionals using expensive products (not armor-all). But there are also some out there that charge a professional fee without providing a top job - watch out!

Done once a year, assuming the car is regularly washed, vacuumed and the insides wiped down, would be an absolute minimum in my opinion. But maybe I'm fussy. Make sure they use a quality sealer on the paintwork! (Waxes only last a few weeks). Seeing you've only had the car for 8 months, and you've already been advised to get a detail done, suggests that your current car-care arrangements are probably not up to scratch. You'll probably benefit from one done every 6 months.

Let us know which area you're in, and that way someone may be able to recommend a trusted detailer to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Pygothian! That is impressive!

I presume the level of work was far superior then anything a Joe Bloggs like myself would be able to do? I'm considering getting it done myself in non-rainy months...