I've done a search, but can't find this discussed anywhere.

I drove a series III Prius today with radar cruise control. I noticed that it actually brakes if, for example, you go down a hill which would increase the speed.

I have a 2006 IS250 SL. The radar cruise certainly brakes quite hard if necessary to match the speed of the car in front, but if there's no car in front and you're travelling downhill, the speed will increase unchecked.

Has the Prius just got a better system, or is there's something up with mine?

Just a different cruise system; to be honest, i don't like it.

Going down hill, I agree, it does not slow down enough. My VZ commodore slowed up perfectly heading down hill and would drop gears if needed. It seemed to be more tuned to the rev count.

Also, as for speeding up or going up a hill, it seems as though it wants to get to the set speed too quickly. It will drop down 2 gears to get to the speed then the gear changes are quite rough and uneasy. To stop this I will use the paddles whilst in cruise heading up a hill.

I honestly think that is one thing Lexus need to improve.

Well my My09 Prestige, once the speed is set, will slow down and downshift automatically when going downhill which is really a handy function so who knows - it may be the new ECU for it in the newer models.

ahh...maybe the year model is the answer then.

thanks.

Well my My09 Prestige, once the speed is set, will slow down and downshift automatically when going downhill which is really a handy function so who knows - it may be the new ECU for it in the newer models.

thanks.

09 Prestige car seems to use the gear box to slow down although I dont think there is any break application purely engine/compression breaking.

thanks.

09 Prestige car seems to use the gear box to slow down although I dont think there is any break application purely engine/compression breaking.

yeah I've looked into it a bit more. they do what even a basic corolla does...if you're travelling downhill and the speed is increasing it'll change down to use engine braking, but not actually use the brakes.

tick one to Prius I suppose.

Speaking of cruise controllers gone wild - It was all over yesterdays news with a Ford Explorer cruise controller jamed at 100km/h.

The ironic thing is the guy's name is "Chase" :lol:

Not a good situation to be in...

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/cruise-...91215-kuk8.html

Speaking of cruise controllers gone wild - It was all over yesterdays news with a Ford Explorer cruise controller jamed at 100km/h.

sounds like attention seeking to me. what on earth would stop him turning off the igntion? just doesn't make sense to me.

sounds like attention seeking to me. what on earth would stop him turning off the igntion? just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm with you on that Aircon, somehow I don't believe it at all, but then again - Ford, say no more LOL.

I'm with you on that Aircon, somehow I don't believe it at all, but then again - Ford, say no more LOL.

I have a Ford and its great :P has 400,000ks on it

• 1 year later...

Hi guys.

Maybe someone can help with this one..

My cruise control (is250 SL with radar) only goes up in 5km/h increments! WTH? Actually sometimes i can nudge it up to 77km/h or 87km/h but not sure how or why...

How do I get it to do 1km/h increments like other cars?

Oh and i find it really hard to read exactly what speed im doing... bit worrying when downhill in a tunnel with speed cameras and ive set it to 80km/h in an 80 zone...

Hi guys.

Maybe someone can help with this one..

My cruise control (is250 SL with radar) only goes up in 5km/h increments! WTH? Actually sometimes i can nudge it up to 77km/h or 87km/h but not sure how or why...

How do I get it to do 1km/h increments like other cars?

Oh and i find it really hard to read exactly what speed im doing... bit worrying when downhill in a tunnel with speed cameras and ive set it to 80km/h in an 80 zone...

there shouldnt be any downhill speed cameras

speed cameras are only up hill or flat suraface

thats what i was told

there shouldnt be any downhill speed cameras

speed cameras are only up hill or flat suraface

thats what i was told

Yeah, there's one I can think of in Sydney going downhill (Safety camera)

Parramatta Rd at Petersham (Outside Rick Damelian) going westbound.

Tell me that isn't a revenue raiser??

Yeah...only goes up in 5kph increments when using radar cruise (but not with regular....but why would anyone choose regular)...anyway, you can, of course, set exactly the speed you're at, but after that it's 5kph.

The series III prius itech goes up in 1kph increments unless you hold the lever, then it goes to 5. a much better idea.

Hi guys,

My initial question was "why cant I set the cruise at 1km/h increments?"

(with radar on, I haven't tried with radar off - bit slack of me)

So.. it can be done in a round about way...

What I've discovered is :

- Whilst driving, turn on cruise control and pull down/up on the cruise stalk to set the speed. This will be in 5km/h increments :-/

- Now pull the cruise control stalk BACK towards you and let go to cancel it.

- As the car slows push the cruise stalk DOWN again and it will set the cruise to the cars current speed. :-)

This can be any speed, not just the nearest 5km/h increment.

E.g. cruising at 70km/h. speed zone ahead is 60km/h with speed cameras. Pull BACK on the stalk to turn off cruise and decrease speed to 59km/h. Push DOWN on the stalk when at 59km/h and it will set this as the cruise speed.

- You can also accelerate up to a certain speed and push DOWN on the stalk to set the cruise at that exact speed too..I think.

Once cruise is set, any nudges UP or DOWN on the cruise stalk will be to the nearest 5km/h increment :-/

Cheers!

Hi guys,

My initial question was "why cant I set the cruise at 1km/h increments?"

(with radar on, I haven't tried with radar off - bit slack of me)

So.. it can be done in a round about way...

What I've discovered is :

- Whilst driving, turn on cruise control and pull down/up on the cruise stalk to set the speed. This will be in 5km/h increments :-/

- Now pull the cruise control stalk BACK towards you and let go to cancel it.

- As the car slows push the cruise stalk DOWN again and it will set the cruise to the cars current speed. :-)

This can be any speed, not just the nearest 5km/h increment.

E.g. cruising at 70km/h. speed zone ahead is 60km/h with speed cameras. Pull BACK on the stalk to turn off cruise and decrease speed to 59km/h. Push DOWN on the stalk when at 59km/h and it will set this as the cruise speed.

- You can also accelerate up to a certain speed and push DOWN on the stalk to set the cruise at that exact speed too..I think.

Once cruise is set, any nudges UP or DOWN on the cruise stalk will be to the nearest 5km/h increment :-/

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that's what I said! The initial setting is at any speed you choose.