My IS250 does an occassional shiver when stopped at traffic lights.

It's almost as if the car is about to stall - but it doesn't. The car simply "shivers" for about 2 seconds. I haven't worked out how to replicate the issue on demand and I can go for weeks without it happening. Apart from that, the car is excellent and smooth. (BTW, 40,000k on the clock)

At the last service a few weeks ago I mentioned the issue and another issue of (also occassionally) clattering on startup. Chatswood Lexus said the issues were related and they replaced (I think) the cam gears (under warranty) and did an engine decarbon service (which they charged for). The shivering still occurs.

It isn't a show stopping event and I'm happy to live with it hoping it will become more pronounced and reproducable. The warranty has several years to run so I'm not concerned about the repair in due course.

I am interested to know if others have seen the same issue with their IS250?

Mine does it occasionally too. I spoke with one of the guys at Lexus of Perth, and he said it is a common issue. Lexus has actually tried to fix it for years, drove around with IT equipment plugged in for a long time to see what casues it, no idea. Apparently it is an electronics/software issue, nothing mechanical.

He said it does not casue any damage to the engine, just that can be annoying sometimes.

Hi, I have also had this issue now for just over 4 years with my 2006 IS250 (113k). It happens only a few times every month or so. I have had the cam gears replaced as well. I have asked several times but nothing is ever found. I have not had this issue with my 2009 IS250 however!

According to my discussions with my dealership servicing team, DANSLEX is spot on. Nothing to worry about - there is no fault, just gives you a little bit of a scare once in a while. Nothing to do with fuel - however Lexus has noticed a correlation between these low rev dips and the A/C - the chance of a low rev 'dip' is higher when the A/C is on.

I get the "shiver" all the time - maybe even a couple of times in a day. Lexus service guy said that it was the thermo fan kicking in (which means more load on the alternator, making the revs drop momentarily).

BUT - my revs drop all the way down to almost 500 rpm, which is basically stalling the engine, and results in quite a pronounced shaking action making the whole car shiver.

The odd part is that it pretty much only happens at two points in time:

1) Straight away after I've braked to a full stop, but braking a little more firmly than usual. (Not HARD braking by the way, but a bit more than average)

2) OR, several seconds after I've come to a stop, after braking as above.

It "feels" like a fuel starvation issue - you know, fuel slopping around the tank and not being picked up by the fuel pump - but that shouldn't be possible with modern fuel systems, and regardless, happens to me even with a full tank.

I get it mainly when the engine has been off for a few hours, and I reverse out of a bay, then put it into drive and want to go forward, it may hesitate sometimes and seem like it will stall. It has actually stalled two or three times when the engine was cold.

Thankfully it rarely happens, once a month I can deal with it so no worries.

Thank God I found this thread! I thought I was going insane from an over active imagination or hyper sensitivity with my car. Anway, mine is IS350 F Sport and I noticed too, as Markz, noted above that there is a "shiver" if I braked a little abruptly - not hard.

I havent clocked up the first 1000km yet so I attribute this to a "tight" engine. *figers cross*

Cheers,

D

Thanks for all comments. From other contributors, I get the impression that the matter is a minor issue and not a problem! I actually find it irritating when it happens.

When I last mentioned the issue to the service dealer he said "next time you pass by, we'll run a de-carbon service - that should fix it." BTW, I paid extra to have this done at the last 40,000 km service a few weeks ago!

Yesterday I called by and was told the de-carbon service takes over an hour (time I didn't have). They then took the car "downstairs" and gave the engine a good revving! According to the service guy, lots of carbon came out the pipe.

I don't get the shiver all that often so I'll be interested to see if the revving out has worked and if the shiver re-appears. In the meantime, others might like to try giving their engine a solid revving and see if that works for them.

Hi All,

Generally I notice this when i shift from Neutral to Drive on a hot day. So sitting at the lights, drop to Neutral, then engage drive and the engine shudders and revs drop slightly then goto the required revs.

I have travelled 78k.

I first experienced this very same issue earlier this year, my Lexus mechanic advised this is a known problem and gave me a 250ml bottle of Lexus Injector Cleaner. The problem is now resolved and I have not noticed this issue since. He advised to add this every 3 months prior to filling up petrol. I suspect pouring Shell VPower or any high RON fuel and a heavy foot will also do the trick. Thats just my thought anyways. Hope this helps.

This is what the bottle says:

Part No. 08813-00840

"The LEXUS Genuine Injector Cleaner is a gasoline fuel additive formulated specifically for all LEXUS petroleum engines. It removes injector deposits and combustion chamber deposits, improving rough idle, hesitation and driveability"

• 2 weeks later...

have you guys experienced this?

on a steep hill slope, going up hill slowly, put your foot off the pedal and the car comes to almost a halt, the rpm goes so down to 500 and the car shivers. its seems like the harder you press on the pedal and then let go, the car shivers more.

• 2 years later...

Dropped my car in for a 105,000km service at Lexus of Blackburn and mentioned the issue. They recommended an injector flush, which I agreed for $125. They then advised that I engaged manual mode and stuck it in 2nd gear, and redlined it for a good 5 seconds. This seems to have solved the issue. It might be too soon to tell, but I'll report back in a week!

have you guys experienced this?

on a steep hill slope, going up hill slowly, put your foot off the pedal and the car comes to almost a halt, the rpm goes so down to 500 and the car shivers. its seems like the harder you press on the pedal and then let go, the car shivers more.

i read this somewhere in the owner's manual, it says that sometimes the engine will knock under rapid braking from high rev or heavy braking from going up a hill, the manual says its normal.