Time for some new rubber

Slopshua

Been very quite on here for a while lads! Where's everyone gone?

Anyway... Got 40k out of my pilot super sports but the time has come for some new rubber!

MPSS are discontinued and have been replaced by the PS4S (quoted $1520 for 4 corners by Bob). Anyone have any experience with these tyres or can recommend something else?

I'm running 245/35's F and 275/30's R

I was still able to get a couple of new front MPSSs of the same size as yours at mycar (used to be Kmart Tyres) for $345 each, oddly they had them in stock at supplier for next day fitting but the PS4S were a week or so away, so there must be some around. I'm at Central Coast NSW. Other comments favourably on the PS4S but say they're a different feel. I have Falken Azenis FK510s same size as you on the back but they seem to wear quickly, they do the job and seem quite grippy but will look to replace with the MPSS to match front when the time comes if I can get a pair

I got MPS4S for my fronts, 245/35.  Rears still had tread so just the fronts for $329 each fitted but that was a while ago, im sure they have gone up in price since then.

Overall im very happy with them.  Good grip and so far great longevity.  Ive had a few before that, which just didnt last.  I also used to use MPSS up front and i find the MPS4S overall grippier and so far im getting more kms from them as well.

Yeah I had the bloke check stock yesterday and could also get fronts in the MPSS but not rears. Interestingly enough the MPS4S were $50 cheaper per tyre but ill have a hunt around for a better price on MPSS. 

My fronts are gone, especially on the inside shoulder as expected with these cars but the rears aren't far behind which is interesting. Thought I'd get a little more mileage out of them. 

BLK, your comments stack up against others opinions on the MPS4S vs the SS. Seems like a better tyre period. 

Tyre power always seem to push Kumho.. anyone run their P71's on the ISF? 

Not sure about PS71 but i have ran PS91 on the rear.  285/30.  I had slight tyre scrub but thats due to my aftermarket wheels and offset otherwise i believe stock wheels will clear no issue.

I actually was surprised, they performed well street use and got decent longevity out of them.  Very affordable too.  Looks super agressive :-)

Hey you mentioned inside wear on your fronts which is common for the ISF.  Have you got stock or upgraded bushes.  Figs, RR etc.  Dramitically prevents this kind of wear

20171005_154506.jpg

tyre1.jpg

tyre2.jpg

They look great. Guys/gals over on the American M3 forum seem to rate the PS91's. I'll get a price for them tomorrow. 

Stock bushes. Considering the RR racing bushes when I bite the bullet and buy their performance upgrade package.. covid got in the way of that unfortunately. 

I've had my ISF for 40k/2 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Decided I'll be keeping it long term so going to start with the mods soon. 

3 hours ago, Slopshua said:

They look great. Guys/gals over on the American M3 forum seem to rate the PS91's. I'll get a price for them tomorrow. 

Stock bushes. Considering the RR racing bushes when I bite the bullet and buy their performance upgrade package.. covid got in the way of that unfortunately. 

I've had my ISF for 40k/2 years now and it hasn't missed a beat. Decided I'll be keeping it long term so going to start with the mods soon. 

Yeah no complaints with the PS91s.  285/30 for the pair cost me $550 a few yrs back.  Bargain vs for that size, other more well known tyres was near 400 each.  Anyways due to the slight scrub i ended up going back down to 275/30 and couldnt get the PS91 in that size at the time.  When my current rears die ill most likely end up with MPS4S as im happy how they have performed up front.

I ended up with the RR USRS which have been great to date.  Dont get that inner tyre wear like i used to.  Shop around though, as much as i like them, with the AU$ and postage etc, there are cheaper alternatives out there which will do the job as well.

They are great cars eh.  Had mine for about 5.5 yrs now, also hardly missed a beat.  Cant tune them to the extent of turbo cars but still plenty of mods available interior / exterior

20161012_152342.jpg

Looks like you still cant get the PS91 in 275/30 off the Kumho website. Shame, probably would've given them crack. I'll probably order new bushings, install first then go with the MPS4S. RR racing USRS at the moment $675 landed.. not cheap but Figs just as expensive. I remember reading somewhere there was an aussie suspension company that had a bushing for the OEM housing that was a cheaper option. Anyone had installed that bushing can share their thoughts? 

Superpro, I have them but they were on the car when I bought it, didn't even know until I'd already bought the RCF ones suggested on Babalouie's post and asked the dealer to install them when he told me the Superpros were on and still in good nick. RCF ones are sitting in the garage, they're stiffer than ISF bushings. Based on this old post they need to be pressed into the housing. Mind you my old front tyres had inner wear, the wheel alignment chap said he adjusted the camber but I'd read there wasn't much if any camber adjustment on the ISF? There must be some as the job sheet shows different camber before and after the alignment, albeit a tiny amount. Guess I will just need to monitor the inner wear closely.

There is NO caster or camber adjustments on the ISF or RCF if your toe was out you might get a fraction different camber reading, just sitting in the car will give a different reading. Don't let them bull*BLEEP* you with "i adjusted the camber or caster " if so ask them to show you the adjusting points. Only with after market suspension arms are they able to adjust cheers.  PS4s are great.

On 4/29/2020 at 3:25 PM, Slopshua said:

Looks like you still cant get the PS91 in 275/30 off the Kumho website. Shame, probably would've given them crack. I'll probably order new bushings, install first then go with the MPS4S. RR racing USRS at the moment $675 landed.. not cheap but Figs just as expensive. I remember reading somewhere there was an aussie suspension company that had a bushing for the OEM housing that was a cheaper option. Anyone had installed that bushing can share their thoughts? 

Nolethane do a bush kit, part # 45853. Repco sell them for $115.00 kit/pack. All you have to do is have them fitted. Personally i`ve not done it yet. Although i have set my front toe to 0mm. If i see that i have to do it i will use the Nolethane kit. The superpro kit is a little more expensive. Part # SPF3491K

Both brands have limited lifetime warranty.

Heard good things about ps91. I recently got ps71 pair on the back of my 250. Not bad. Got great price from Bob Jane, price beat from Tempe Tyres. Stock size 255 40 18 with change out of $400 the pair fitted and balanced.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:24 PM, RodL said:

Heard good things about ps91. I recently got ps71 pair on the back of my 250. Not bad. Got great price from Bob Jane, price beat from Tempe Tyres. Stock size 255 40 18 with change out of $400 the pair fitted and balanced.

I paid $275 for the PS91 (285/30).  $550 fitted for the pair but mind you that was a few years ago

On 4/29/2020 at 3:25 PM, Slopshua said:

Saw the other day that Tempe tyres have them available if you dont mind using them

On 4/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, Slopshua said:

Been very quite on here for a while lads! Where's everyone gone?

Anyway... Got 40k out of my pilot super sports but the time has come for some new rubber!

MPSS are discontinued and have been replaced by the PS4S (quoted $1520 for 4 corners by Bob). Anyone have any experience with these tyres or can recommend something else?

I'm running 245/35's F and 275/30's R

I just fitted RE003 in the front and AD08R rear. Front grips nicely in courners and no more wheel spin in the rear with FBO.  245/35's F and 275/30's R

• 1 month later...

Just did my 120k service on my 2012 ISF, looks like I need to get a new set of pads + rotors for the front and brand new rubbers on all four corners. 

Currently leaning towards the DBA 4000 t3 rotors and Brembo brake pads from brakesdirect:

https://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/dba42758s-dba-4000-series-t3-slotted-brake-rotor.html
https://brakesdirect.com.au/aus/p50092-brembo-brake-pads.html

Have done some reading and it looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are still the recommended tyres? 

Also interested in getting some wider ones since a lot of people also recommend getting wider ones.

Stock:

225/40F and 264/35R

A lot of recommendations for 245/35F and 275/30R and even 285/30R, however the tyre shop said that it isn't legal in Victoria, and that I could try 275/35R since that is within the legal limit. Would this also be a decent set up? Running completely stock ISF set up - so not sure if it will cause any rubbing etc. 

Thanks!

I put 245/35 F and 275/30 R MPS4S on recently. Great tyres but not cheap - $1655 with alignment ($100 cashback from Michelin rn) Had MPSS on before the PS4S and they were great and got over 40k on them which isn't bad for soft rubber. Uneven wear on the fronts is a real issue on these cars so hoping the RR racing USRS I installed last month make a difference. 

Nice, for stock sizes it came to about $1970 from Lexus Brighton installed for stock sizing on the PS4S, which interestingly is about $100-200 cheaper than BobJane - Though they won't install different than OEM sizing so need to look elsewhere. 

BobJane also wouldn't install the 275/30 since it is outside legal limits, and suggested 275/35 - not sure if these are too big though since I can't find any good sources of the fit on stock height without rubbing here or on clublexus forums. 

That's interesting because the BJ I went to put the 275/30's on without question however the car already had that size on. Cant help regarding the 275/35's... Definitely shop around re prices, BJ's from various suburbs gave me very different prices for the same tyres. 

21 minutes ago, Slopshua said:

That's interesting because the BJ I went to put the 275/30's on without question however the car already had that size on. Cant help regarding the 275/35's... Definitely shop around re prices, BJ's from various suburbs gave me very different prices for the same tyres. 

I'm a newb since it's my first time purchasing diff sizing, though looking at https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

265/35/R19 vs 275/30/R19

Diameter = 668 vs 648 which is 20mm so it is over the 15mm legal limit

Whereas

265/35/R19 vs 275/35/R19

Diameter = 668 vs 676 which is 8mm which is within legal limits. 

Ended up just sticking with the OEM 12+ wheel tyre specs

2 x Michelin Sport 4 S 225/40/19R

2 x Michelin Sport 4 S 265/35/19R

Since I couldn't find any credible sources online for 275/35/19R for the rears, only sources for the 245/35/19R fronts which were recommended.

275/30 are definitely not legal here for my wheels, only legal for the older ISF wheels which are .5'' slimmer and jump from 255/35-> 275/30, not 265/35->275/30.