Question About Tv Tuner Option & Playing Avi, Mp4 Format On Video

I just recently bought IS250 with all the nav and moonroof option and I am satisifed with everything except there are few questions I would like to ask:

1) It's cool that you can watch DVD but however, is there a way where I can watch the local channel (like Channel 7, 9, 10, SBS etc) using some sort of TV Tuner?

2) Though I am aware you can watch DVD on the Nav Screen, but I know it has to be watched on the original DVD where avi, mp4, rnmvb format cannot be watched from a burnt DVD. However, as you are all aware, there is a jackput for ipod and I am wondering if I purchased a video IPOD, can the videos through the sat nav? If so, does it mean that it can watch avi, rmvb, mp4 etc for as long as it plays from the video ipod? I do not have video ipod but I just want to know whether it works or not for those who have tried?

3) I just read one of the feature for cruise control. It says:

"At highway speeds, Active Cruise Control (ACC) (3) utilises the radar sensor to monitor the road ahead. First, set your cruising speed via touch controls on the steering wheel. Then if the ACC detects another vehicle in your path, it slows down your vehicle and even applies the brakes if necessary. Your nominated speed is resumed once a safe following distance can be maintained."

I barely use Cruise Control but I will going on long distance drive soon which will be useful and so....from my understanding here....if I set to 100KM\H as my cruise control setting and there is no car in front of me......and then a car overtakes into my lane, which means a car is right in front of me. Rather than me slowing down using the brake, it will actually automatically slow down, right???? And once the car is gone (and no car is in front of me or far away), it will go back to the original 100KM\H setting again, is that correct? If so, that would be very cool.

I barely use Cruise Control but I will going on long distance drive soon which will be useful and so....from my understanding here....if I set to 100KM\H as my cruise control setting and there is no car in front of me......and then a car overtakes into my lane, which means a car is right in front of me. Rather than me slowing down using the brake, it will actually automatically slow down, right???? And once the car is gone (and no car is in front of me or far away), it will go back to the original 100KM\H setting again, is that correct? If so, that would be very cool.

The cruise is even smarter than that. If a car overtakes and cuts back in then the cruise will not slow your car down as long as the other car is pulling away, even if it's quite slowly.

Hey mate,

1). Nope, TV tuner is not fitted. The JDM IS250 has a TV tuner though. If you really wanted one I suppose you can swap it over. I am not sure how much effort is involved with that though. Then again, you may get Jap language interface as a bonus with that too :)

2) It onlyplays DVD's. Won't play avi's or DivX or anything like that. I guess Lexus can update the firmware to make it play it. But as far as I know, no car manufacturer does it anyway. As far as the aux question goes, it's just for sound. It won't play the video off the iPod. Not that I've tried, but the manual makes no mention of it. See how you go, woudl be great if it did!

No video playback through iPod. I had mine installed in the centre console to be able to control at close range, but later discovered that I couldn't use it. Once connected it disables all hope of manually using the iPod; all controls are used through the ML system. Just took a bit of getting used to and is frustrating when your driving that you can't search the artists etc.

Anyway, I have a few music video clips and movies and when they come up in random play, it will play the music but not the video. Would be great to be able to watch movies etc through iPod etc on the Nav screen. Maybe one day!

Hi Lexus

Firstly I assume your IS250 is Sport Luxury model, or else don't try the radar cruise control because it is not going to work in other models.

Radar cruise control is very useful, you can pretty much take your feet away from the pedals.

It is depended on how sensitive you set your radar regarding to your car cutting in issue. Your car will be set in the most sensitive radar default range after activated the cruise control, your car will be miles away (At least 15 car spaces distance @ 115km/h) from the car in front of you. Your car will slow down to maintain the same default distance with the car which cut in to you. However you can adjust the sensitivity of the radar.

Normally the little screen on the dash shows a little car and a big car with 3 beams when you activated the radar cruise control, press the right bottom button on your steering wheel to adjust the sensitivity of the radar while cruising. Then you will see one beam between the 2 cars is gone by pressing the button once, then again one more beam will be gone by pressing one more time. One more time will set it back to 3 beams. The less beam will give you less sensitivity of the radar which means the distance between the car in front of you is going to be closer but it is still a safety distance even you set it in 1 beam mode (about 5 to 6 car spaces @ 115km/h).

The only down side of setting it at 1 beam mode that you are still keeping a good gap for people to cut in but not as much as 3 beams mode. The car will slow down aggressively and making loud beeping sound if there is a car cut right in front of you in a 1 beam mode. Something you have to get used to it because it will happen!

One funny thing about the radar cruise control is sometimes I just let the car following the car in front of me and don't even realize I am following a slow car and doing 90km/h on the freeway!

Using the ACC i've had it get confused my people walking their dog on the foot path going around a sweeping right hand bend, and also a group of trees on the medium strip when in the right lane heading towards my house. It did the BEEP BEEP thing and applies the brake transiently. Other that that it works well - and it is also good if you are not watching the road and cars turn right or the lights change and someone decides to stop - it quickly slows you and you can then take over once you drop below 40.

1.I just found out!.. yes.. you can play ipod video through Nav screen!... you need to get converter box.! cost another $500 ?.. then fitted... fees and modified VSS (vehicle safety system) so i can play while driving through aux. ..

2. you wont able to play avi/mp4.. on dvd system.. as Toyota only implement legitimate system.. however, you can modify.. like my system.. i can hook up. . a 2.5" HD media player.... still can enjoy..almost unlimited entertainment on my 500Gig HD..

1.I just found out!.. yes.. you can play ipod video through Nav screen!... you need to get converter box.! cost another $500 ?.. then fitted... fees and modified VSS (vehicle safety system) so i can play while driving through aux. ..

2. you wont able to play avi/mp4.. on dvd system.. as Toyota only implement legitimate system.. however, you can modify.. like my system.. i can hook up. . a 2.5" HD media player.... still can enjoy..almost unlimited entertainment on my 500Gig HD..

Can you give us more details? I'm interested in number 2. How do you add video input into the screen??

I am not sure the technical of it exactly.. the entertainment system has the aux input for both video/audio signal... however, it needs a converter box... !.. it should work

1. the system needs to modify. to play DVD while driving

2. the converter box. can purchase.. from toyota.. around ? $350

3. my got hooked up.. with RCA end.. for my HD media player..

ps... ipod video playing. also need the converter box too

Hey,

Nam Electronics can provide and instal the video adapter for IS 250 as well as override DVD, GPS and phone restrictions

Nam Electronic Services391 Enmore Rd, Marrickville, NSW 2204

p: (02) 9569 6243

Alberts Audio in Perth can do for you. Just bring it down and let them have a look at the car.

I don't know how much they would charge but the last time I asked them they said it can be done.

http://www.alberts.com.au/store-location-contact/

Morley

Address:

61 Russell Street

Morley WA 6062

Open Mon to Sat

Phone: 08 9276 5678

Fax: 08 9375 2892

Email: morley@alberts.com.a

Yeah...let us know the outcome. The 2 places I've tried in Perth said no. And thhe one person Lexus gave me their card to and said he does the mods, refused over the phone telling me it was highly illegal and he would never do that. Think he thought I might of been police :)

Maybe somewhat off topic, but I'm curious, as I've never been able to picture myself sitting in a car to watch a movie. When the salesman originally demonstrated the DVD I asked this very same question; When do you guys have an opportune moment (1 1/2 hours?) to sit back in the car and enjoy a movie?

I know I've sat in the car for a few minutes or so at times when waiting for someone to jump back in, but never long enough to think "boy, I wish I had a movie to watch".

Just curious.

Maybe somewhat off topic, but I'm curious, as I've never been able to picture myself sitting in a car to watch a movie. When the salesman originally demonstrated the DVD I asked this very same question; When do you guys have an opportune moment (1 1/2 hours?) to sit back in the car and enjoy a movie?

I know I've sat in the car for a few minutes or so at times when waiting for someone to jump back in, but never long enough to think "boy, I wish I had a movie to watch".

Just curious.

I have had that wish when I was stopped by the boomgates at the railway crossing to let the train pass first. I felt I could have finished THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy after the train passed. took ages......

Comes in handy when you're waiting for 15-20 minutes in the car for your take away to be ready or something. Right now I got a DVD with Seinfeld episodes on it, which last about 20 minutes each so yeah. I probably wouldn't ever find the time to watch a full length movie in the car. I got a theatre room for that at home :P

i think. for music.. DVD.. and short jokes/documentary episodes............

all of us here.. ..has money enough to buy lexus. .. then time.. is more valuable.. .. than sittting in a car and watch the DVD.... need to do some work!...

I watched the matrix trilogy (over a few weeks) in the car. I pick up my wife from work and depending on when she comes out I fit in 10-15 minutes here and there. I like to have a DVD in the car just for those times when you have are waiting around for a few minutes.

OOOOOH NOOOO!!!!

I've cursed myself.

Every boomgate I've come across over the last couple of days have involved

THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy
waits!

I give up - never again will I refuse the DVD option in a car. My curiosity has been more than satisfied. Just please make those extra trains go away.