Rip Off 90k Service - Lexus Of Newcastle

I've just been scalped $1673 for this service by Lexus of Newcastle. They also replaced the back pads in this price ($245) - despite the back brakes being subject to recall. The poor serviceman returned the car at 7pm at night and that was the first I knew I was up for a fortune - he copped it.

No warning from the service manager it would be this much. The 4 warranty items I asked for were not done (broken drivers footrest, squeaky brakes, sluggish when cold and broken door seal) the second time this has happened.No contact from the service manager when I told the service man returning the car I was not happy. Gave him 24 hours and nothing. No paperwork for the 2 recall items. And not enough time in the day for them to have done what they've charged for

Lexus Australia have been great. The Newcastle service manager contacted me after they contacted him but he did not offer any apology nor was he prepared to acknowledge any failing. He now says he told me it was a major service (he didn't) and that the parts needed for my warranty work had been ordered once they'd seen the car- despite me telling him about the parts needed two weeks prior.

So I can't recommend them at all. And this price is extortionate - compare it to a merc or bmw and this is over the top. Be warned

Mate,

Im shocked!! Has anyone else had a 90K service on their 250?? Did it cost as much as this??

From what I have been told, not even the RX's cost that much at their 90k service. And SUV's are generally dearer!

Was this all in labour or was there a significant number of parts replaced too!

What did Lexus Australia have to say about the price?? Surely there must be a common pricing structure that all the dealerships adhere to........!

Looks like I will be sticking with a strict trade in policy every 3years!!!

Sorry to hear about your mis-fortune!! Does sound like they lack customer service skills which you expect all Lexus dealerships to excel in!!

WOW!!! Holy sH1t. That's rich. How can they even warrant charging so much for a service!

I haven't had to pay for a service yet and would baulk at even taking it to a Lexus dealer based on that. Surely any licensed mechanic can change the oil just as good as a Lexus service centre. Sure, they give you free coffee and a comfortable lounge to sit on, but realistically why should we pay exorbitant service pricing just because of the badge.

Can anyone provide any history of service pricing? Km & $ and what was done? I'm sure we can all learn from swamprat96's bad experience to hopefully not get burnt in the future.

I have not heard of a book service that cost that much. I would never put my car in for service without getting a quote.

What else was done to the 90K service?

Shi*T, that's is outregous.

basically, they have to ring you first before they replace any costly parts to get your authorisation

i recomennd not to do replacement of wear and tear part trough dealership.

do a bit of extra work and you save $$$$$$$$$.

i get quoted roughly $170-$200 to replace the 2 wiper ruber, i just bought the ruber myself-costed around $30 each from their spare parts.

and this might put you off the chair, when my car battery flat(originally not sure weather its flat or something wrong with the car) and they quote me for $1400 for Original manufacturer batterey. WTF. ended up ask one of the service guy in my work place and cost me $120 in total.

now my car is due for the 3rd service and i reckon it will need brake pad replacing, has anyone replace their brake pad yet?Which pad you are using?obviously i am looking for the one not as Dusty as the original pad

i am not going trough lexus service for sure, as they going to try to put the original pad and charge astronomical $$$$$.

Excuse my ignorance here (if there is any) but when is the timing belt replacement due? I know for most German vehicles its around 100k. Both my 30k and 45k service were about $600, and I thought Lexus intentionally space service items between services to 'average' the price around that $600-700 mark. So this price is totally 'out of character' - UNLESS there was a major replacement item that you werent told about.

But the receipt I get from my dealer after each service itemises every single thing done to the vehicle.

My brake pads might be due soon, so I will be wary that Lexus dont go ahead and change them at the next service without asking me first, and charging me an arm and a leg for them.

No Timing belt change- (isn't the is250 chains?)

Spark Plugs $366

rear pads $130 (I'm arguing this as the calipers were subject to a recall)

Air filter, diff oil oil filter and oil and a whole lot of BS parts total over $800

labour $800

Yes I am shocked. really poor service. I've now spoken to the service manager and didn't even get an apology. All he said was the price was justified but refuses to tell me why. Lexus Australia are looking into it

Sapphire Cam- be warned about the front rotors. One machining and thats it- I was quoted $1300 for rotors and pads. I used Kluger rotors- (exactly the same) and genuine pads- $750

No Timing belt change- (isn't the is250 chains?)

Spark Plugs $366

rear pads $130 (I'm arguing this as the calipers were subject to a recall)

Air filter, diff oil oil filter and oil and a whole lot of BS parts total over $800

labour $800

Yes I am shocked. really poor service. I've now spoken to the service manager and didn't even get an apology. All he said was the price was justified but refuses to tell me why. Lexus Australia are looking into it

Sapphire Cam- be warned about the front rotors. One machining and thats it- I was quoted $1300 for rotors and pads. I used Kluger rotors- (exactly the same) and genuine pads- $750

dammm, $800 for the labour, how much $$$labour their charge per hour?

i think this is a bit too far, but this is just a bit of info

normally in every brand of the car, there are standard labour hour set from the manufacturer.a little variance is ok, but normally they have to comply with that standard guidlines from the manufacturer. if they can do stuff quicker then good on them as they make more money as they can charge the standard price, while doing it quicker, hence they can book more car to their service.

but if they stuff up and the mechanic tooks say 1 or 2 hours longer to do it, you cant charge the customer for that extra hours from your stuff up.

all of those item are looks like schedule service items, and any good mechanic should be able to do all of those job within 3-4 hours max since you service the car at dealership we assume they all familiar with the car, and all of those is just bread and butter for them as there's nothing major/wrong to be done/fix.

if its takes 4 hours=$200/hours.jezzzzzzz they really know how to make money, i dont know how much they charge as my car covered under corporate program, so i havent seen their bill yet.

Are they gold spark plugs???? Would be taking this up with someone as it seems to be way over the top. Are there any other Lexus dealers/service centers in Newcastle? If not give one in Sydney a call and ask for a quote over the phone and compare, if cheaper one would think that you have been LEXUSED from behind.

Are they gold spark plugs???? Would be taking this up with someone as it seems to be way over the top. Are there any other Lexus dealers/service centers in Newcastle? If not give one in Sydney a call and ask for a quote over the phone and compare, if cheaper one would think that you have been LEXUSED from behind.

Actually they are platinum plugs - and the price is not so bad- but why replace them so early? I had a camry with these years ago and they lasted 120K

Still waiting on lexus australia - given up with the dealer- who is the only one in Newcastle

• 3 weeks later...
be warned about the front rotors. One machining and thats it- I was quoted $1300 for rotors and pads. I used Kluger rotors- (exactly the same) and genuine pads- $750

My rotors needed machining. Decided to replace them altogether with RDA slotted rotors, cost me 245 bucks. I'm not sure if they're available for IS250, but in my old IS300 I installed EBC Green Stuff pads, they were about 200 bucks for the front set. This combo will be 10 times more effective than any OEM Lexus stuff, and much much cheaper.

My rotors needed machining. Decided to replace them altogether with RDA slotted rotors, cost me 245 bucks. I'm not sure if they're available for IS250, but in my old IS300 I installed EBC Green Stuff pads, they were about 200 bucks for the front set. This combo will be 10 times more effective than any OEM Lexus stuff, and much much cheaper.

Danslex

How much dust you get from the brakes with the green stuff pads? I'm happy with the standard ability of the brakes for my use but find the dust atrocious.

Someone said Merc and BMW are nowhere near as expensive to service......I also have a 2000 W210 Merc E430 in my garage. I recently took it to a Merc Dealer for an "A Service" (Merc-speak for "minor" service). The car only has 80,000km on it.

I got a phone call from the dealership 1.5 hrs after I dropped it off, with the following report -

Needs new from brake rotors and pads

Needs brake fluid changed, and coolant flushed

Rad Cap is leaking / cannot hold pressure

Transmission shifter bushing worn

Transmission fluid change (which I asked for, as I don't trust "sealed for life" trannies)

Spark Plugs need changing (twin spark, meaning 32 of them - $600 including labour alone)

Fuel filter needs changing

Total service bill ? $3,600, including parts and labour (and I supplied them with my own bottles of Mobil 1 0W40).

My parents also owned an E30 BMW 318is years ago - apart from being an unreliable piece of junk, no service at a BMW dealer was ever under $1,000.

Merc reliability ? My next door neighbour loves his 2008 E500 Elegance - numourous sunroof, Sat Nav, Tyre and Alternator problems. All in a brand new car.

As for complaining to Lexus Australia - don't bother, they don't care. I had to complain about the treatment I received from Lexus of Brighton 3 separate times - they didn't do a thing.

Will I buy another Lexus ? I dunno - even though my Merc is 9 years old and way out of warranty, my Merc dealer invitited me to, and I attended, the launch of the new W212 E Class. I purchased my RX350 brand new from Blackburn Lexus 5 months ago and was never once invited to an evening / launch for the new RX350, RX450H or IS250C - makes you wonder :rolleyes:

Danslex

How much dust you get from the brakes with the green stuff pads? I'm happy with the standard ability of the brakes for my use but find the dust atrocious.

I have no way to measure it, so I can only say, definately less than OEM pads. ;) With Green Stuff it would take about 3 weeks for dust to become really noticeable. With OEM pads, just over a week... for me anyway, I do 25K kays pa. The green stuff dust wouldn't be as thick as the OEM dust too, so takes less effort to clean the wheels (although that's probably due to lesser build up of dust, who knows). Either way, you'll notice an improvement. I haven't yet checked if they're available for IS250, but would be very surprised if they weren't. My pads are due to be changed soon, so might have to check.

If you want to be super clean, then I'd recommend Red Stuff pads, however they are proper race-spec pads, very harsh, need to warm up properly to work (the warmer they are, the harder they grip, no fade). And most importantly, will ruin your rotors within a space of 6 months lol! :lol:

Losiho, it must be just your dealer. I've only ever bought one used car at Lexus of Perth, over 2 years ago, yet I still get invites for everything.

Hi everyone, i just brought a used sports luxury model, i live 2 hours away from the nearest lexus service deptment. I rang lexus to get a quote on a 30,000 km service, got a price for $600-$650. Then rang brother inlaw who works for Toyota head office, he told me that i can get the car serviced at any toyota dealership, as long as they use "Lexus parts", Rang my local dealership, got the service for $300. If anyone wants Lexus parts i can see if i can get a discount for you.. I know i can get a discount off toyota stuff.

Toyota servicing is bound to be cheaper by some margin. But you don't get the loan car for starters. You can also have your service done at Ultra Tune or wherever else, and that won't void your warranty either, and that's gonna be even more cheaper. For resale sakes I'd rather have fsh at lexus.

Kay8 you are spot on; I was also quoted that for the 30000km service and for a car that really just needs an oil/filter change and a check over, $600 is excessive, I don't care what car I drive. Sure we can afford it, but why pay twice as much for the same thing. They know they can charge more, so they do.

I say, use someone you trust, be it Lexus or alternative, after all there are warranties on cars for a reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

My 1st post, can I say what a great Forum this is,some great reading. :lol:

I just traded my 06 A4 B7 Audi on a new IS250 sport pick it up on thursday PM cant wait ^_^

The Audi has 84k on the clock the price for a 90k service by Audi $2130.00 found a Fantastic Euro mechanic his price $820.00 for the same service....... 90k service is a major service

redo front brakes Audi $1100.00 Euro Mech 375.00 using gen Audi parts :o Someone sure is making some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Looks like lexus have the same mindset.

look forward to catching up

cheers

Mike

• 3 months later...

Just as a follow up here, we had a nasty service shock from Lexus of Newcastle during the week too, and from the same service manager I believe.

Booked the car in for it's 60K service and asked 'Phil' (the service manager) if there was an update for the navigation available given there's been a LOT of new dual carriageway opened up north of Newcastle and the GPS often places the car offroad these days as it clearly needed an update. No mention of any cost at all, just a 'yep, we have version 15 of the Nav here and i'll load it in for you'.

Now, the car's well and truly still under warranty and perhaps i'm naive but I would have thought that GPS disc updates are the kind of thing that a prestige brand like Lexus would include on a 67K car whilst under warranty - Ford include them on upspec Falcons and Territorys for christ's sake! To my surprise, not Lexus. Wife picks up the car mid-afternoon and immediately checks the bill (i've trained her well) only to discover a $325 (!) charge for 'sat nav update'. Now I like the sat nav to be up-to-date, but for $325 i'll live without it. So I rang Phil and rather firmly expressed my displeasure in this, especially considering at our last service they'd somehow put the car in 'limp mode' that didn't kick in until my wife was 50kms from the dealership. Phil offered to remove the update, and remove the charge.... but ONLY if my wife drove back to the dealership that day. :angry: Given it was our children's end-of-year school concert that night and we had a lot of stuff to do, that was a bit of an effort, but for $325 we made the effort!!

I love my Lexus, but a few recent service SNAFU's by LoN are making me think long and hard about buying another one off them in the future.

Just as a follow up here, we had a nasty service shock from Lexus of Newcastle....

I strongly feel that issues like this should be raised with the appropriate '+1' people. If it was just a lackey in the service department, speak to the service manager. If you're not satisfied with your discussion with him, contact Lexus head office. I would normally suggest the +1 above the service manager, but in such a tight knit working environment there's a tendancy for people to be pretty chummy and not really *listen* to your comments, rather favouring their colleagues position. It's easier for an outsider with interests of both the company and customer to make a sound judgement rather than an unconsciously biased work colleague.

Even a quick brief email to customer care outlining the facts in detail, is more than adequate. If you've had such an unpleasant experience with someone, there's a good chance that you're not the only person, and it the guy above him doesn't know then there's an equally good chance that this sort of thing will keep going on until someone's spoken up.

You're not paying them to be dicked around. They're also not the 'be all and end all' of the Lexus brand, and your complete satisfaction is worth more to head office than the dealer realises.

Just my 2c...

• Like 1

Whilst most dealers are individual, it's quite hard to believe that Newcastle & Chatswood are affiliated. Chatswood are offering brilliant service while there have been no positive reports at all about Newcastle.

I would never recommend Newcastle, but am happy to give Chatswood tonnes of praise.

PS if you are worried about Toyota doing your service.

Lexus uses Toyota branded genuine parts. I have a few extra filters at home to prove it.

So the only benifit of spending $300 ++++ extra is the Lexus as opposed to Toyota stamp and a loan car.

I have been to Sydney City Service department many times and they are great.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone

Why does anyone know a reasonable place in Sydney to get Alloy wheels fixed as there are some slight skufs marks on front two wheels. Dealer advised the price of $200/wheel ?

Cheers everyone

regards

meerut