I need to vent so bear with me guys, please.

I love this forum as there are some great people on here and it's great seeing the exchange of knowledge. The forum is expanding and some great new members getting on board as can be seen by the size of the last meet....not happy I couldn't get there.

However I feel that we a being taken for a ride by a small number of people that sign up and on there first post start their own thread "Hey whats the cheapest price" etc. Only never to post up again.

Examples:

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10026&st=15

This thread was started by wb.47... 6 posts in one day about price later...he hasn't been back since. Are you guys cool with this?

In the same thread thegismo asked for a copy of someone's sales contract. This on its own is alarming. Nobody has met him at a meet, or knows anything about him. He asks for a sales contract containg someones address & personal info...his only 4 posts ever were in this thread and were about trying to get the confidential details of someones purchase. Are you guys cool with this?

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10023

Canlex started this thread... posted up the used car he was buying and what price. One post..one day...hasn't been back since. Are you guys cool with this?

http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10039

In this thread started by a nice new member Weejock, he talks about his new CT200h he is waiting for...then post later with some feedback about his experience. Contributing nicely to the forum. Along comes DUY to this thread and first post BAM "if you don't mind, how much did you pay for it"...nice. Oh also his only post.

Most of the members here are repeat Lexus owners and enthusiast of the brand...your loyalty & knowledge should entitle you to get the very best deals possible....I don't think its right that "non contributors" should sign up once and get the same deal as you guys can get. Then never come back.

That is definitely us being taken for a ride.

Apologies for the rant...especially if you don't agree with me....which you're entitled to do.

I'd love to hear other forum members opinion.

Agreed. It's almost as bad as signing up to a forum, not contributing anything, and then using it to flog off something. And then disappearing. Would be alright if those members then contributed something later, but they don't bother afterwards. And asking for personal info like that, bit dodge! If they're given rough price then that should suffice, obviously they want a copy of the contract to take with them to a dealer and saying "match it".

Can see where you are coming from, but it is all normal really, is all part of the open Internet forum.

People come here searching for answers, members have a choice to help or ignore. Lot of these people just read and not have so much to share, but that doesn't make them bad.

I do agreed asking invoices and any sort of personal related information are bad, and should be ignore. Unless you know the guy, but then I wouldn't ask in the open anyway, that's what PM is for.

I obviously fall into this category as have only posted and answered in my original (and only) thread however at the moment, don't feel like I can contribute much more as I'm not yet an owner so not sure of what advice to give anyone.

I did however want to speak to current owners to see what they thought of the car - space mainly - before I purchased it and am grateful for the responses I was given. Especially those who gave a guide as to what I can expect to pay.

I hope to become a regular contributor to the forum but until I own it, I don't feel I have much to offer other than picking peoples brains.

Understand your concerns though!

I obviously fall into this category as have only posted and answered in my original (and only) thread however at the moment, don't feel like I can contribute much more as I'm not yet an owner so not sure of what advice to give anyone.

I did however want to speak to current owners to see what they thought of the car - space mainly - before I purchased it and am grateful for the responses I was given. Especially those who gave a guide as to what I can expect to pay.

I hope to become a regular contributor to the forum but until I own it, I don't feel I have much to offer other than picking peoples brains.

You're fine, you have genuine questions about the cars, how much space for kids and whatnot, which version to get etc, this is what this place is for after all. You're not just asking a simple question "how much $$ did you pay?"

I need to vent so bear with me guys, please.

I love this forum as there are some great people on here and it's great seeing the exchange of knowledge. The forum is expanding and some great new members getting on board as can be seen by the size of the last meet....not happy I couldn't get there.

However I feel that we a being taken for a ride by a small number of people that sign up and on there first post start their own thread "Hey whats the cheapest price" etc. Only never to post up again.

Examples:

http://au.lexusowner...pic=10026&st=15

This thread was started by wb.47... 6 posts in one day about price later...he hasn't been back since. Are you guys cool with this?

In the same thread thegismo asked for a copy of someone's sales contract. This on its own is alarming. Nobody has met him at a meet, or knows anything about him. He asks for a sales contract containg someones address & personal info...his only 4 posts ever were in this thread and were about trying to get the confidential details of someones purchase. Are you guys cool with this?

http://au.lexusowner...showtopic=10023

Canlex started this thread... posted up the used car he was buying and what price. One post..one day...hasn't been back since. Are you guys cool with this?

http://au.lexusowner...showtopic=10039

In this thread started by a nice new member Weejock, he talks about his new CT200h he is waiting for...then post later with some feedback about his experience. Contributing nicely to the forum. Along comes DUY to this thread and first post BAM "if you don't mind, how much did you pay for it"...nice. Oh also his only post.

Most of the members here are repeat Lexus owners and enthusiast of the brand...your loyalty & knowledge should entitle you to get the very best deals possible....I don't think its right that "non contributors" should sign up once and get the same deal as you guys can get. Then never come back.

Apologies for the rant...especially if you don't agree with me....which you're entitled to do.

AGREED!!

If you want to know best prices go talk to a sales representative. the price of each of the cars all have thier RRP for what they are. your not gonna achieve much by asking what other people got.

You're fine, you have genuine questions about the cars, how much space for kids and whatnot, which version to get etc, this is what this place is for after all. You're not just asking a simple question "how much $ did you pay?"

As Danslex said perthlexy. you do not fall into this category. you are asking legitimate questions about the car. you obviously know how much it costs and your asking about the features in that car that you obviously know the price of because thats why your here cos you love lexus.

I don't think its right that "non contributors" should sign up once and get the same deal as you guys can get. Then never come back.

Totally don't agree.

Who is being taken for a ride? Do you want a reward for posting information? Understand this before you post anything - you wont get a pat on the head. You may not get any respect. The recipient may not appreciate you personally as you are just a userid on a website. Post out of generosity, willingness to help others, wanting others to learn from your experiences, from the goodness of your heart, NOT because you want something back.

Post because you want this community to flourish and be open to new members. Set an example.

Or don't post!

Pretty simple.

In case you missed it, I don't agree with you.

Dis-lex-sic from what I understood from your post, your main gripe is new users signing up to see what deals they can get on a new car. You also state that these members haven't contributed anything before or after such posts. If they haven't bought an IS yet what possibly can they be contributing beforehand? And if they just inquired about price, it also stands to reason that even if they did end up buying one, it probably hasn't been delivered yet. Personally I don't see any problem with someone trying to get the best deal possible on a vehicle purchase. I've purchased enough new luxury/exotic cars over the past few years to know how unscrupulous some dealers can be in misrepresenting the deals they are offering. Granted that there's definitely some honest folk out there but the reality is that it's in the salesman's best interest to get as close to RRP out of you as possible.

I only signed up to this forum recently after purchasing my IS350 and my first post was to give an indication of what I paid for my car in WB.47's thread. There is nothing wrong at all in helping someone get the best deal possible on a new car although I agree that asking another member for a sales contract is a bit rude. But again, if personal details and the VIN was blacked out, this wouldn't be THAT much of an issue either. This knowledge may enable someone with the purchasing power to buy an IS350 over an IS250 for instance. I think the 59k on the road I paid for my IS350 was a great deal and was done with very little negotiation. I had other dealers telling me that 65k is their rock bottom price for the exact same car and were adamant that they were going to lose money if they sold it below that. Obviously when you hear such mis-truths you begin to question the integrity of some salespeople. Again I have no issue at all in others getting a great deal on a new car using the advise that members have provided. In fact if you visit some other forums such as VWWatercooled they have spreadsheets you can download which list what members paid for their cars and what options were ordered and % discount over RRP.

The only person I can imagine that would disagree would be a salesman who stands to lose if everyone was able to get the best price possible. However, I don't think anyone here is averse to saving money on a new car... except for the person who sets to gain by taking as much of your hard earned as possible

it doesnt matter what other people get. it comes down to what the dealer can give. some can give more then others.

If you want a better deal its as simple as. . . . . shop around. then talk numbers with the sales rep with the car you most favour.

I think what others have paid does matter. This is especially true with the IS range of vehicles which have very little options to choose from. If you know what a dealers is willing to sell a particular car for your less likely to buy the BS of another dealer who is trying to push the exact same car for 10% more. Knowledge is power.

I agree that some people are great with negotiation and will shop around etc and get the best deal possible, but not everyone fits this profile..

In case you missed it, I don't agree with you.

No...didn't miss it defnk. I think its good that there are posts disagreeing...as I said at the end of my original post.

Its the ones that don't agree that I wanted to read...to get another point of view.

You said

Post out of generosity, willingness to help others, wanting others to learn from your experiences, from the goodness of your heart, NOT because you want something back.

Post because you want this community to flourish and be open to new members

and I agree 100%. What you have said above is what the forum is about. Putting in to the forum is what makes it a good forum. So on that you & I have the same thoughts, especially being open to new members. You are a new member & by posting your disagreement you're contributing. Its great.

Its only the people that sign up for a day or so....one or a few post totally price related that annoy me. They are the ones that want something but don't put back in. Kind of your point too.

Mate really appreciate your point of view and I don't think its as different to mine as may seem....maybe just not expressed as well by me.

360 my gripe wasn't about new members not contributing, its only about the ones that join & disappear, and just that its happened a bit lately.

You point out new members may not have much to contribute. You have been a member for 3 weeks and your post above is the kind of input that makes a good forum. Alternate views and opinions so cheers.

Perthlexy that fact that you have posted in this thread proves you are not the type of new member I'm referring too. I get the feeling you'll be around for a while. As I said in my PM too you...we want photos of your new ride once you get it.

Well I don't post much, but I do enjoy reading the forum and learning more about the Lexus brand. I've been shopping around for cars, and have found forums such as this and other car forums enormously helpful in giving me some perspective on the various cars I'm interested in. I could stick to car reviews such as Drive or CarAdvice, but IMO nothing beats first hand ownership experience. Am very inclined towards the Lexus brand as it's very me (being a rather sedate driver), but each time I throw the dice I get a different answer as all the cars I've checked out have their own pros and cons which I won't go into here.

To a certain extent I get what you're saying. I moderate an air travel forum and am also an active participant in several other travel forums. If you find the '009' in my handle familiar then you'd know which forums I'm referring to. ;) We often get the one hit wonders who treat the forum as an official complaints channel to the airline or travel provider concerned and disappear after posting their vitriolic rant (I actually find such posts rather entertaining :D), or the ones who put up post after post asking for information but never a word of thanks or contributing their own experiences in return.

But alas such is the nature of forums as someone else pointed out above.

I don't actually see anything wrong with asking for indicative prices, as data points such as these can be useful for helping others negotiate the minefield of bargaining with car dealers. For instance I hadn't known that I could take up to 15-17% off an Audi A5 if someone on OzAudi hadn't pointed it out (without me asking). Granted that the plural of anecdote doesn't necessarily equate to reliable data but if one takes what they read with some perspective I think data points such as price and service experience can be rather helpful and actually add value to the forum. But yes asking for a copy of the sales contract is just taking the piss.

Rest assured that if I do end up with a Lexus, I'd try to contribute here in return for all the helpful advice I've received. Right now I'm more a lurker as I'm still in my research 'phase.'

Hi all,

Just bought my first lexus and I must say I used the forum to find out ideas etc before I did. Didn't want to join before I bought an actual lexus lol!!

So I joined up today and just wanted to say hi and also to thank everyone for well being yourself. Keep it up guys and to the thread starter...will try to be an active member.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi all,

Just bought my first lexus and I must say I used the forum to find out ideas etc before I did. Didn't want to join before I bought an actual lexus lol!!

So I joined up today and just wanted to say hi and also to thank everyone for well being yourself. Keep it up guys and to the thread starter...will try to be an active member.

Cheers

Jeff

What did you get??

Oh and HOW MUCH DID YOU PAY??? Hahahaha, joking.

I've owned several Lexus's but know next to nothing about the cars to contribute anything helpful. Just been a lurker and only signed up recently. Even considered the meet-up few weeks ago as I was in Ryde but nothing to contribute and my car is stock.. which you guys see just about everywhere.

With work and other stuff I only visit the forum when I can and that's like once a week or every 2 weeks. I imagine other people sign up when they are in the market for a Lexus (Lexus forum is a no-brainer first place) and ask for price but have no other reason to contribute.

I've got no problems with people asking for price to get an idea to save money. It's probably the second most expensive thing most people will buy.

People ask for receipts/invoices and prices other guys pay on other forums as well.. whether it's a camera, phone, tv... what have you. In most cases, from my experience the guys are more than happy to share what they paid.. even their receipt.

There are guys who sign up and don't even have 1 post but PM you asking for something, which happened to me in this forum. I don't mind, if I can help I can.. if not I don't.

I Think the original subject that dis-lex-sic posted has strayed for the initial topic purpose.

It is an interesting topic but i think people aren't understanding the intent of his post.

As i said it's part of the internet forum culture.

Just gota deal with it

People who are regulars will benefit alot more than 1 time users so

it evens out

I've owned several Lexus's but know next to nothing about the cars to contribute anything helpful. Just been a lurker and only signed up recently. Even considered the meet-up few weeks ago as I was in Ryde but nothing to contribute and my car is stock.. which you guys see just about everywhere.

Mate, my car is pretty much stock as well and I still made it almost every IS250 meet. It's all about the culture and you do meet some great characters and find out stuff you didn't know.

Don't be discourage if you haven't heavily moded your car. Everyone spends their money differently so come along to the next meet/cruise :P