Well it has literally been 18 months or so since i was last on here and it is now time to upgrade and wanted to get some feedback.

I've had the IS250X for 4 years next month and really don't want to part with it. Only issue is with the addition of a little family member, it is truly not a family car. I can get over this, but it's convincing the missus.

Anyway, i have a few options that i am considering before i have to make a decision by early November.

(in no particular order)

1. sell Lexus, buy larger family sedan

2. refinance and keep for another 4 years

3. refinance initially and buy new mazda 6 when released early next year

4. refinance and keep until 2014 IS is released

5. upgrade to 350 F sport (my #1 pick)

To be honest, this is a hard call, and would like as much input as possible.

Jake i might have to come and see you.

just so you know and if it helps (inside news from Lexus Aust GM) - new IS comes here July next year :)

Yes but from what i have read so far is that that is only a minor faclift (like 08 to 09 model) with the introduction of hybrid and this not to be like a new GS release or as per the LF-CC concept.

I could be wrong... i hope i'm wrong and might just hold off.

Congratulations on the addition of a new little family member :)

I think that most of us 2IS owners would know, the back space is not that accommodating. I've had my little girl inside the IS since she was born and with the baby seat installed (both rear and forward facing), it was still a little bit challenging getting her in and out. Then when her baby seat was reconfigured to forward facing, I found out that she was kicking the back seat... so I had to remove her shoes every time. I still have my IS and even though I rarely drive it for this reason I can't part with it :)

But a bigger car that is more 'family oriented' would be more suitable (maybe get a second hand car?). Also you would need to consider the boot space to fit a pram, stroller etc... on the IS

Just my 2cents worth based on my experience.

just so you know and if it helps (inside news from Lexus Aust GM) - new IS comes here July next year :)

Yes but from what i have read so far is that that is only a minor faclift (like 08 to 09 model) with the introduction of hybrid and this not to be like a new GS release or as per the LF-CC concept.

im quite sure it's a full model change

the IS has passed its model lifecycle

But a bigger car that is more 'family oriented' would be more suitable (maybe get a second hand car?). Also you would need to consider the boot space to fit a pram, stroller etc... on the IS

Surprisingly, the boot space is pretty good for the pram, it fits better than the wife's hatch and can still get plenty in and out. The seat will be forward facing in a few months so it should open up some more space in the back, but it is still pretty tight, not that i have had many passengers in the back at all.

The only reason to be considering a larger car is for a potentially larger family in the next few years.

im quite sure it's a full model change

the IS has passed its model lifecycle

Based on this, i think i might have to wait... Although, I'm sure Lexus will do what ever they can over the next few months to get rid of the old models. Time to bag a deal i think???

Apparently with the new body shape there is supposed to be a coupe and wagon version to join the sedan.

Fingers crossed that it is true... I'd love an IS wagon for work.

Hi guys. It's been some time since I've been on here too! My is250 is 4.5 years old and I was in a similar situation although I have two kids! 3 and 1 yo.

My parents love driving my 250 when they look after my kids so they ended up buying an is too. When I took them to the dealership my dad said he wanted the 350 and upgraded!

A few weeks after he took delivery, I took the car for a spin and boy was I impressed! It was magical and got me started thinking about a new car!

So I started looking at a a 370 skyline sedan, new 350, used s4's an s6 (v10 loving!) 335 sedans and convertibles, 550, cls500 My budget was around the 60k mark. The idea was to get something that I could cart the kids around in occasionally.

Fast forward a few months to last week and I signed on the dotted line for a used c63 on friday! The other cars were nice and definitely worth considering but I decided to splurge a little. I also considered m5's,m3's and a s5 in this range. I didn't consider an isf as it was the same shape.

During and after the test drive and even right now, I can't wipe the smile off my face! I just have to wait to Thursday or Friday to pick it up now!

I will keep the 250 for my wife to drive and honestly it will be fine for the kids until they are 10+ I reckon. Rear facing seat is a squeeze but it doesn't last long. We used to have the seat behind me and I managed to fit (I'm quite big).

The 350 is seriously good value for money (my olds bought the x edition) but I already had an is so I wanted something different.

If I didn't splurge, I think I would have got the 335 convertible. I is a beautiful machine and has the performance to boot.

Some food for thought for you! I think another member on here bought a s4 or I might be mixing it up with another forum who might be able to chime in.

Mike

So what year C63 did you pick up for a 60k budget? Issue with that is it offers no more space than the IS and would be no better of. But hey can't beat an AMG

I ended up increasing the budget to get the 63. I got an 09 model.

I think it is roomier. Boot opening is wider too. In any case, this size car is fine for our family. I was thinking of a ml63 but they aren't that much bigger inside. At least not in legroom. I was also looking at larger sedans and other SUVs too.

This is my car anyway :) the mrs can stick to the is250. Once the kids are forward facing there is plenty of room.

Thought I'd have to part with the IS when our first child was born. The baby capsule was a PITA for 6 months, making it very difficult to use the front passengers seat. My wife is tall, but she just managed. Eventually we upgraded our second car to a Forester which took the ease off for long trips. Have had a child seat in the back for our son (who's now 2) and its fine - plenty of space for him and the front passenger. Boot is still quite a good size for this size of vehicle. Someone above mentioned the GS250 - not a bad idea. Could look for a demo by the end of the year and save 7-10k potentially. You could hang onto the IS until the 3rd gen due this time next year. Once Im transiting our second child (who's only 7 months) around the place in a couple of years time, I think my IS will go. I do like the RX, which would be an option for us. Looking at the Volvo XC70 as well.

Don't rush into anything - see how you go.

am not sure if upgrading to a IS350 Fsport is a gd idea (but actually i always want to do it too hahahahha)

Reason ? obviously....the 3rd generation of IS will be out soon. Considering the depreciation and all these sort of stuffs, its better to wait for the next gen of IS 350 instead.

BUT DAMN.......Lexus has been luring me to get a IS350 Fsport. THey just recently sent me an email to promote the 2.5% interest rate finance.

Its such a temptation man.

Yes well the baby seat is about to go forward facing, so it will open up the rear seat room and front seats can go back into position.

My heart will want me to upgrade to a 3 gen IS 350 Fsport as they are released, but my head is saying that Lexus will be offering more finance offers coming into mid next year to clear as much of the old stock as they can. I will almost bet they will bring back the 0% in the next few months.

I think i'll ride it out and see what happens next year.

The isf just doesn't do it for me. C63 comes with 2 years merc warranty As well. From my research they are pretty solid.

Anyway, I borrowed an rx for a day and don't think it is worth the premium. I was about to sign up for a kluger grande at $58k brand new 4wd version then realized I didn't need a they are just as well equipped as the rx at a fraction of the cost.

A mate has the xc60 and they are nice cars!

Those finance deals are tempting but they usually don't budge much on rrp.

Thanks for the 'lead'. Didn't think the Kluger came with an upper-spec deriviative as I last looked at then several years back, but the Grande looked packed with gear, and is very nicely finished, and has the 7 seat option - something that the RX still doesnt offer. You might've saved me $30k!!! Anyway, will stick with the IS for the forseeable future, and my wifes Forester - which is bluudy boring and a thirsty car, but its bulletproof and my wife likes it, so why upset the apple cart :)

The isf just doesn't do it for me. C63 comes with 2 years merc warranty As well. From my research they are pretty solid.

Anyway, I borrowed an rx for a day and don't think it is worth the premium. I was about to sign up for a kluger grande at $58k brand new 4wd version then realized I didn't need a they are just as well equipped as the rx at a fraction of the cost.

lol dont think your searching hard enough there mate

there alot of issues on mercs in general esp around the electric areas

engine is awsome but rest of the cars quality is questionable

2 years wrranty vs 4 years?

I love Merc - been surrounded by them in one way shape or form over the years (family, friends with C and E class) - but each one had a common problem - yes, they were all electrical (incl computer). Anyway that's probably all been sorted out now across the range, but just a historical note from me. Its actually those issues seen first and second hand that made me wary of the C-class when I looked it prior to getting my IS. Mind you, and I have to declare this, that that was 6 years ago!

You cant blame people for falling for an AMG C63. it looks much sexier then the IS F.

I wouldnt buy one for its reliability nor for a long term vehicle. For a bit of fun and the experience i would.

yeah have to say the same. love euro cars for their handling and steering feel. awesome fun to drive however will have to say i would never own one either due to the long term reliability issues. cars no good if it ain't moving, and after a few hiccups it doesnt matter how many kw's, how nice it handles, etc etc is.......

wouldn't mind too much if it was a used vehicle and was good value but definitely would never buy a brand new euro car. just too unreliable. been bitten now twice shy. to top if off mercedes service is absolute crap. i've walked into lexus on random occasions for various reasons sweating like a pig in summer and still get first class service no matter if ive met them before or someone i've met for the first time.

mate of mine who swears by euro cars also got done. it was a constant arguement at the pub. euro vs japanese until he bought a brand new golf and before he drove out the driveway there was a glitch with the electronics and he had to wait 2 weeks to pick up his brand new car again. as bad as i felt for him i couldn't help myself, but i did have to say i told u so. granted thats an extreme case but as ilvs stated, there track record for electronics reliablity is crap, and to top it off the parts are expensive!

Every marque has its problems. Some

More than others, I had the ML amp on my is replaced out of warranty (for free). The new replacement was faulty and I had to wait to get another one. My water pump also had to be replaced. It hasn't put me off Lexus. They are great cars.

The merc service so far has been good. Not quite up to Lexus standards but good.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought an iS350X was told the new is350 is 2 years away.

C63's are quite common now and most have been thrashed, you cant help it really , the noise is awsome though, but tyres won;t last long.

New IS due in june. It is assumed is250 is300h and is350