I will be needing new tyres in the next couple of months.

Went to Bob Jane today, just to make a start on my research, and was told that a great tyre would be the Falken ZE912. It will accomodate the different sizes front and back and apparently got a very good rap in a tyre comparison in one of the car mags. He assured me they are quiet and sporty.

Does anyone have an opinion of these tyres, positive or negative?

If not, what have you replaced your tyres with?

Ta

PS He also bagged the Dunlop Maxx sport tyres the car was originally fit with.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haven't heard anything about those particular tyres but i'm currently running on Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics. 225/40/18 Front and 245/40/18 Rears.

they get a very good review on tyre comparisons. very quiet and soft ride. grip is extremely good but very pricey.

have been on Yokohama V103's, bridgestone potenzas. both very good in grip but hard and noisy.

also had dunlop sports max but didn't run them long enough to form an opinion.

good luck with the search.

Thanks cevu

I was quoted $220 each F&B. Almost to good to be true, especially if they are anywhere near as good as replacement Dunlops which are about $400 each.

wow, suddenly i feel like i've overpaid. lol.....

Thanks cevu

I was quoted $220 each F&B. Almost to good to be true, especially if they are anywhere near as good as replacement Dunlops which are about $400 each.

wow, suddenly i feel like i've overpaid. lol.....

toyo transpath (TASW) are a great tire. the asymetric pattern gives a nice quite ride. and nice and soft even for 18's

i think they were about 200 - 220 (225/18). i cant remember but it was a while ago now so prices probably changed.

awesome tyre. basically anything toyo is great. asymetrical and/or japanese also really helps.

Edited by LEX51S

well for us who have 255/40/18 (oem 18")

thats a bloody rare size

really expensive

Dunlops are around the 600 mark for these lol

Any1 got some prices that we can compare?

My five cents worth.....

After running with Potenza's for the first 50k, my next set of tyres are now Bridgestone Turanzas (16").

If you're after pure performance I perhaps wouldn't be recommending, but for a good overall 'compromise' between wet grip, dry grip, noise and durability, they're not bad...and at about $190 each, they make a good cost-effective replacement. They came endorsed by my dealer. I actually rang my dealership and asked if I were to replace the Potenzas for around the $200/tyre cost (I paid $190 fitted and balanced at Bridgestone), they recommended these.

Well here's a cheap 1

255/40/18 oem sports or X edition

ku19 200 each for the rears

read a few reviews seems good value for money I'll try them out and let u guys know

How much were the Maxx TT's Phamish? If you don't mind me asking

I was overcharged a bit since I got mine replaced during a scheduled service but I was lazy and the previous ones were down below 20% tread.

Cost $380 each for the fronts and around $500 or so each for the rears. Like the others have said, the OEM 18s are expensive tyres to maintain. My wife always asks why they cost so much; I think she's just spoiled by the Corporate program servicing which is complimentary.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe how cheap you guys can pick up tires for!

I need a new set of fronts and nearly everywhere I've gone have been quoted in the high $400's for Maxx, Maxx TT, and even the Eagle F1 Asy.

Most places have recommended I go for the Pirellis which I'm told are better tires for around the $400 mark or just under.

I'd prefer to stick with the Dunlops seeing the rears are still the SP Sport Maxx, but I'd love to know why Sydney prices are so cheap compared to Melbourne.

up to 80,000 kms on my Is250 sports, started with dunlops, went to pirelli pzero nero's, were ok, next up tried the Toyo Proxy 4's, Wooo awesome tyre, massive grip, wet, cornering etc, i blew one out on the M5 @ 160km's per hr..bit expensive abt 330 each, just changed to KUHMO ecsta's, cheap ass tyres $ 150 each, huge traction difference, they dont hug the corners at all......Not suggested....Stick with Toyo's if u have the cash....

....Stick with Toyo's if u have the cash....

Interesting. None of the places have recommended the Toyos to date. Some have suggested using Khumos and the like when their quotes for the Dunlops come in too high. But they're just suggesting them after I've scoffed at their near-$500 per tire quote to appease my shock.

Have narrowed selection, after a couple more recommendations and quotes etc. to 2 options

a ) SP Sportmaxx TT (asy rather than directional like the ones I have on the car at the moment) at $409 per tire, keeping the same brand front and rear - but using a tire which most dealers don't rate highly (they rated the discontinued directionals much higher).

b ) P-Zero directionals on special at $320 per tire (the tire most recommended to me based on performance/price) and have 2 different branded tires on the car (something that just p###es me off a little).

Must make bad decision. But which one to make :)

id go the Pzeros anyday over the SP Sportmaxx TT, thr only prob was i only got abt 30,000 kms out of them and did try my best to preserve them....

im going to stress again that the Kumho's i have on the car now are just Terrible!!!!! aviod if u dont wanna crash

• 3 weeks later...

Can i ask, when you look at the wear of your tyres, do u look at the wear indicators alone. I notice the indicators on some tyres are mainly along the centre grooves, the edges of the tyres don't have much thread depth at all (as seen in the pic). Say you don't have any uneven wear, but the edges looks worn (due to small depth to begin with), the centre of the tyres have heaps of life left, do u go by the centre?.

dunlop_sp_sport_01.jpg

up to 80,000 kms on my Is250 sports, started with dunlops, went to pirelli pzero nero's, were ok, next up tried the Toyo Proxy 4's, Wooo awesome tyre, massive grip, wet, cornering etc, i blew one out on the M5 @ 160km's per hr..bit expensive abt 330 each, just changed to KUHMO ecsta's, cheap ass tyres $ 150 each, huge traction difference, they dont hug the corners at all......Not suggested....Stick with Toyo's if u have the cash....

Hi LLL

I'm now looking at the Proxes 4 you have had. How did you feel about the noise level with this tyre?

I figure the car isn't a sports performance vehicle and I bought it for it's luxury. Problem is that the 245/45/17 rears are not easy to come by without spending funny money on high end continentals etc, and they are usually heavy biased to grip levels, and less so toward lower noise. I was looking at the Toyo TEO plus but can't get the rear sizing.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the tyres for the SL. Standard sizes of 225/45/17 front and 245/45/17 rear. Not an easy combination to find at a price I was prepared to pay, whilst keeping the same tyre all round.

The tyres fitted are yokohama v550, and have been brilliant for the week I have had them on, about 100km. Lovely and quiet, which was my main consideration. Today I got to drive a freeway and was again very impressed with the quietness. The grip level has also been very good, although I haven't had a real sprited drive yet, just a few quick corners in isolation. Here's a link Yokohama v550

:lol::lol:

Finally got the tyres for the SL. Standard sizes of 225/45/17 front and 245/45/17 rear. Not an easy combination to find at a price I was prepared to pay, whilst keeping the same tyre all round.

The tyres fitted are yokohama v550, and have been brilliant for the week I have had them on, about 100km. Lovely and quiet, which was my main consideration. Today I got to drive a freeway and was again very impressed with the quietness. The grip level has also been very good, although I haven't had a real sprited drive yet, just a few quick corners in isolation. Here's a link Yokohama v550

:lol::lol:

What did you pay? I'm in need of a set of fronts.

• 2 weeks later...

Fronts on my car are looking a little shallow around the inside edges, so I'm looking for a new set.

Trying to decide on a set between the following contenders:

Toyo Proxes 4

Federal 595 SS - Heard these are a little loud though?

Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra

Has anyone had any experience with these tyres?