Fronts on my car are looking a little shallow around the inside edges, so I'm looking for a new set.

Trying to decide on a set between the following contenders:

Toyo Proxes 4

Federal 595 SS - Heard these are a little loud though?

Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra

Has anyone had any experience with these tyres?

I was ready to sign up for a set of the Proxes but they couldn't get the rears for my car as there were none in Aus, apparently.

You may have better luck with the 18" rims Oliver.

I am VERY happy with my Yoko's and would thoroughly recommend putting these in your mix. They look very good on the rimms, have a good square sidewall and actually sit a little wider than the Dunlop sport Maxx that were OEM???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was ready to sign up for a set of the Proxes but they couldn't get the rears for my car as there were none in Aus, apparently.

You may have better luck with the 18" rims Oliver.

I am VERY happy with my Yoko's and would thoroughly recommend putting these in your mix. They look very good on the rimms, have a good square sidewall and actually sit a little wider than the Dunlop sport Maxx that were OEM???

Hmm... I might check them out and see how much they are for 18's... It's the 255 rears that are scary... Almost makes me want to get Nankangs! *shudder*

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to buy my 3rd set of tyres for my IS250. The first were the OEM 16" Bridgestone RE030's. They were *BLEEP*e! I didn't feel that they rode particularly well, were loud and wore out very quickly. I went to Kumho KU31 Ecsta SPT's (note that there are many different types of Kumho Ectsa's out there). I specifically ordered a set of these after doing lots of research particularly from www.tirerack.com which do independant reviews. I personally think that the Kumho's are great value for money. Are they the best handling tyre out there? No. But they don't cost $600 a corner either. For a price of around $150-200 each, I think they are fantastic.

I think Australian tyre companies do a great job of confusing people. I've learnt that when buying tyres you have to compare the category that they are in. www.tirerack.com do a great job segmenting tyres into different categories. Here are some of the categories from that site:

1. Track & Competition

2. Extreme Performance Summer

3. Max Performance Summer

4. Ultra High Performance Summer

5. High Performance Summer

The full list of categories is here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/tiretype.jsp

The Kumho's I bought were considered "Ultra High Performance Summer". Summer tyres are fine for Oz, because we don't (typically) need to drive on snow.

So guys, if we are comparing tyres, we should ensure that we are comparing tyres in the same league. Otherwise it's a case of apples and oranges. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

I'm happy enough with my Kumho's to want to buy another set.

Here is an independant review just completed last month, for tyres in the same category:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=131

Note that the Yokohama S.Drive narrowly beat the Kumho KU31 in this test. However (because I have just started looking at possibly buying a set of Yoko's) the price seems much more ($385 - I've only tried one place as yet so maybe I got quoted a rip off price).

Given that the Yoko's are only marginally better, and in fact got beaten by the Kumho's in previous tests (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=97), at that price difference, I'm going for another set of Kumho's!

A long, but hopefully informative post! :)

• 1 month later...

Update on my change of fronts...

Elected to go with Pirelli (keeping the Dunlop Sport Maxx on the rear because they're still in good condition). I went for the P Zero Rosso because I got a good price ($320 each and free balance and alignement).

My thoughts: no noticable difference in grip/handling/braking (was happy with the Dunlops on all these points anyway), but, a big difference in ride. The car feels as if I've got 16s or 17s rather than 18s on the front, making for a much smoother ride.

I'll probably complete the Pirelli set when the rears are shot (so long as I can still get a good price on Pirellis at that time). BTW, I couldn't find similar Dunlop fronts for less than $500+ per tyre!

I got a quote from Goodyear in Dural the other day for Kuhmo KU19's 225/40/18 - $313 each... Apparently they don't have the rears in stock and have no date set for when they'll be able to source them.

I have a couple of thousand kilometers left in my current set, so I'm not in too big of a rush, but Continental ContiSportContact2's for $290 each (plus fitting) from some mob in St George are looking mighty nice right now...

look really looking into getting new tyres, as i still have lots of tread left on my rears (OEM Sports, 255/40/18)

but i wanted a lower profile for the rear, but will getting 255/30 give me a wrong speedo reading??

yes it will

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

255/40-18 4.0in 13.0in 26.0in 81.8in 775 0.0%

255/30-18 3.0in 12.0in 24.0in 75.5in 840 -7.7%

it will have 7.7% smaller than your current size which will give inaccurate speed reading

Hey guys, gotta get tyres this week, left it too late.

If anything, I hate getting tyres. I never feel like i'm being given the right advise by the tyre salesmen. They only want to sell you what is on special or what they get a good commission on.

I'm looking for long life, quiet & good handling.

Anyway, has anyone got any thing to add on the below brands:

225/40/18

- BF Goodrich - GForce Sport $239

- Bridgestone Turanza ER33 $466 (stock)

- Khumo Ku31 $291

- Bridgestone Adrenaline $376

- Goodyear Excellence $389

Please suggest any other brands to look at.

Hey guys, gotta get tyres this week, left it too late.

If anything, I hate getting tyres. I never feel like i'm being given the right advise by the tyre salesmen. They only want to sell you what is on special or what they get a good commission on.

I'm looking for long life, quiet & good handling.

Anyway, has anyone got any thing to add on the below brands:

225/40/18

- BF Goodrich - GForce Sport $239

- Bridgestone E66 $466

- Khumo Ku31 $291

- Bridgestone Adrenaline $376

- Goodyear Excellence $389

Please suggest any other brands to look at.

frankyX

if your looking at a bridgestone the turanza is a good tyre. i went for a yokohama and wish i went the turanza.

ive heard bad things about khumo.

frankyX

if your looking at a bridgestone the turanza is a good tyre. i went for a yokohama and wish i went the turanza.

ive heard bad things about khumo.

Yea Turanza's original tyres sold on car, can't complain they've been great and I've gotten 45k out of them. Cost is up there though. But may be worth it in the end. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, wot to do wot to do?????

• 2 weeks later...

@ franky what did you end up going with. what price were the turanza. were they E33? oh and what size wheels are on your car?

Still haven't decided. Yea, the ER33 are $466 each. I'll probably end up going a mid range tyre such as adrenalin or excellence around $380ish. Need all the cash I can save for the moment, saving the $$ for a US trip next year.

All prices are for 225 / 40 / 18.

im gonna be changing rear tyres pretty soon aswell (255/40/18)

will post back with some prices once i get em

i got my front yokohamas for 260$ i dont even know what model they are cuz it was when my tyre blew so had to have a quick replacement (225/40/18)

@ franky what did you end up going with. what price were the turanza. were they E33? oh and what size wheels are on your car?

Still haven't decided. Yea, the ER33 are $466 each. I'll probably end up going a mid range tyre such as adrenalin or excellence around $380ish. Need all the cash I can save for the moment, saving the $$ for a US trip next year.

All prices are for 225 / 40 / 18.

yea i was quoted $ 445 for the turanza.

• 2 weeks later...

well i popped my passanger rear today, going along a road and i hear this shhhhhhh sound from the rear

pull over at my friends house down the road and it found there was a hole (probs from a rock) and i had like 10% tread left anyway

jacked the car and put my spare on

going out tomrrow to see some tyres, probs going with Yokohama's but will take any 255/40/18 tyres they have

im desperate for new tyres, the spare doesnt feel safe, lol

gonna change the front aswell while im at it

oh, and i was wondering, is getting my tyres filled with nitrogen safe/good?

they said its gonna be 8$ a tyre at JAX Quick Fit at pymble

should i get em to fill it with nitrogen while im chanignt the tyres??

oh, and i was wondering, is getting my tyres filled with nitrogen safe/good?

they said its gonna be 8$ a tyre at JAX Quick Fit at pymble

should i get em to fill it with nitrogen while im chanignt the tyres??

I thought we might get a few replies from people who've tried nitrogen. Never tried it myself, but here's what I've read ...

- The local automobile associations don't believe there's a safety problem, although they do question the value.

- Bob Jane aren't suggesting that the tyres last longer, but they have run a few tests which show that nitrogen-filled tyres offers better fuel economy. The amount of fuel saving depends on the tyre pressure and the brand of tyres.

- Nitrogen leaks from tyres at a slower rate than air. Therefore, the people who will experience the best fuel savings are those who are never bothered to check the pressure on their air-filled tyres, let alone nitrogen-filled ones.

- For those who manage to check their air-filled tyres regularly, the value proposition for nitrogen is more iffy. Assuming an average 2.5% saving in fuel (usually higher that that when initially filled, but decreasing slowly over time), a fuel price of $1.25 per litre and a rated fuel economy (on air-filled tyres) of 9.1L/100 km, you'll save $111 in fuel over the life of your tyres (40,000 km).

If you find someone who claims that they have seen their nitrogen-filled tyres retain their pressure (within, say 4 psi) over 13,000 km - such that you only have to refill your tyres with nitrogen twice before replacing them - it might be worth it. Somehow, I don't think this is likely since, apparently, nitrogen escapes from a resting vehicle at the rate of 0.7 psi per month.

My verdict: Don't bother.

well i got Nankangs or something on the rear now (cheapo tyres)

they seem alright (dun know bout road noise cause i have music 100% of the time)

also, they grip alright in the dry, but it gets hairy in the wet, but its pretty fun, slides out alot easier than with the stock tyres

• 6 months later...

Just bring back the old tyre again post .... I need to replace two front tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx A) for my 2008 SL (17" 225/45front 245/45Rear) and about to purchase the Continental ExtremeContact DW (17") set for $915 for Tirerack (delivered) and just got offer from local JackQuickfixTyre for my front tyre as follow (not yet bargain):

1. Michelin Pilot Sport 3 for $230/tyre

2. Continental SportContact 3 for $285/tyre

3. Dunlop Sport Maxx TT for $315/tyre

Any recommendation would be great.

Thanks heap

Ive been researching lately about a quite tire and found toyo t1 SPORT. To be a really good tire. I can not comment on the others altgough i have heard the dunlops can be noisey.

I'm running on Kumho Ecstas (KU31). 2nd set of tyres now. I agree, super cheap and great for me coz I clock up 500km a week. You'll get mixed reviews about kumhos but I personally don't mind them. A little bit noisy but it's good value for money, if you wanna save some $$$$ .