Is th tapping noise metallic or plasticy?

As for the noise i'm hearing, sounds much like when you stick a piece of paper into spinning fan.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is th tapping noise metallic or plasticy?

As for the noise i'm hearing, sounds much like when you stick a piece of paper into spinning fan.

Metallic, I think it has something to to with the VVTI mechanism or something...

Don't know what that other noise could be. What I sometimes hear is the cooling fan for the seats, thats about the only other thing I hear apart from the engine.

Ok i thnk there is some abnormal noise i can hear now.

It sounds like a little paper fan and can be heard from the corner air vent during start up.

Is this it?

Hey man,

Definately doesn't sound like the noise from the cams, its gotta be like Art mentioned, one of the fans in the cabin. Try isolating the prob. Is the car still stationary? Turn all the fans off and turn them on one at a time. The ISX design inregards to where the external air gets diverted into the car is really good. "Crappier" cars usually don't have a grill on the inlet so debree tends to find its way into the ducts, so I don't think thats the prob. Again, isolate but it doesn't sound like U got anything to worry about!!

Yeh i can say it is coming fromm the steering column, you know the place where you put in keys with normal cars.

ah..i think i know what your taking about..

it's the steering lock..

when u start the car the steering unlocks..

mine makes a little noise too

• 5 months later...

Had this startup rattle problem for 5 months now and finally took it in.

I told them about the problem and they fixed for free as it is a known problem for 06 and 07 model. I even printed out the rattle document and bring along just in case they didn't believe me. :P .

They gave me a RX350 loan car as it requires the whole full day to complete.

The noise are no longer there now. Feel like a new car again.... :rolleyes:

Brandon

How long ago did they do it?

Mine makes the noise about 2-3 times per week. I'll let them know before next service.

Come to think of it, with the mirror dipping issue and the crank noise maybe I should get them done first, and I can then report any findings at the service.

Bluey,

I just had a done last Friday 17-Apr-09. The noise are no longer there now. My service was due at that time so I just mentioned to them about the rattle noise.

The noise always happend in the morning. Drive me insane with the rattle noise. They will fix it for free as the car is still under warranty.

I asked them if I could have the ISF as loan car but they didn't have any. :angry:

My '06 IS also had the VVTi cam gears fixed under warranty recently. I wasn't even aware there was a problem, I don't think I heard anything. I took the car in for a service. On pick up I was told they ordered some parts already to fix the problem, and to come back later when it arrives. I didn't even have to ask for it to be fixed, they automatically acted on it as soon as they spotted it. That was with Lexus of Perth by the way (not that there's any other choice in Perth haha). Always happy with their high level of service.

So yeah, looks like it is a very common problem in those early models.

My first day here. Great stuff guys. lots of useful information. I recently bought an late 07 IS250 sports with EMV pack.

your posts made me paranoid especially the sound link. i could definitely pick up the rattle at the very start from the link which made me worry. i went out and listened to my car starting up. thank god there was no such rattle, i will check again tomorrow morning tho. When did the problem first kick in for your guys ? My car has done 12,000 on the clock, does not seem to have that rattle.

however, i found the engine is actually quite loud. It sounded like a diesel engine (a mini truck if you know what i mean). It was not as quiet as i expected. do you guys find that ?

I want to have it checked by a dealer, worth it ? any recommended dealers in Melbourne?

cheers

My '06 IS also had the VVTi cam gears fixed under warranty recently. I wasn't even aware there was a problem, I don't think I heard anything. I took the car in for a service. On pick up I was told they ordered some parts already to fix the problem, and to come back later when it arrives. I didn't even have to ask for it to be fixed, they automatically acted on it as soon as they spotted it. That was with Lexus of Perth by the way (not that there's any other choice in Perth haha). Always happy with their high level of service.

The service are great in Perth but the charges are so damm expensive compare to eastern State. Wish there are more dealers in Perth.

My first day here. Great stuff guys. lots of useful information. I recently bought an late 07 IS250 sports with EMV pack.

your posts made me paranoid especially the sound link. i could definitely pick up the rattle at the very start from the link which made me worry. i went out and listened to my car starting up. thank god there was no such rattle, i will check again tomorrow morning tho. When did the problem first kick in for your guys ? My car has done 12,000 on the clock, does not seem to have that rattle.

however, i found the engine is actually quite loud. It sounded like a diesel engine (a mini truck if you know what i mean). It was not as quiet as i expected. do you guys find that ?

I want to have it checked by a dealer, worth it ? any recommended dealers in Melbourne?

cheers

The noise usually happend in the morning when you perform a cold start-up. It sounds like a grinding noise and it last around 1-2 seconds. When that noise happend you will notice. So I guess you probably won't hear it yet. I think it started to rattle when you have around 20,000KM. It is worth getting the dealer to have look because it is still under warranty. ;)

cheers

thanks Brandon. I got Lexus to check and it was not a problem. It was the fuel pump. and it has been confirmed by ProjectIS perfectly normal sound. I guess I will have to wait and see if the rattle comes in at 20,000 km. thanks for the information cheers

The service are great in Perth but the charges are so damm expensive compare to eastern State. Wish there are more dealers in Perth.

How much do they charge in the eastern states? My average service is around 600 or so bucks for a standard one, plus more if something extra needs to be done. I don't think it's too bad, given you get a free rental Lexus, and comparing to what they charge for a service across the road at other premium brands... My car's on a novated lease though, so I gotta spend X amount of money on the running costs regardless, otherwise I get slugged with FBT.

But yes, it would be good if there were more lex dealers here, little competition never hurt anybody :)

How much do they charge in the eastern states? My average service is around 600 or so bucks for a standard one, plus more if something extra needs to be done. I don't think it's too bad, given you get a free rental Lexus, and comparing to what they charge for a service across the road at other premium brands... My car's on a novated lease though, so I gotta spend X amount of money on the running costs regardless, otherwise I get slugged with FBT.

But yes, it would be good if there were more lex dealers here, little competition never hurt anybody :)

I got mine service at Perth as well but I thought I gave the Lexus Dealer at Eastern State a call to compare the price because I'm from Eastern State. Just up here to work. ;) They are around $100 cheaper. Yes the service is around $600 and it is also depend on which mileage service. My car is also on a novated lease as well and I also need to spent on the running cost or I will pay heaps of FBT. :angry:

Hehe, going off topic here, but I pay zero FBT luckily, but I do 25K+ kays. I think novated leases are the best thing since sliced bread, on disposal I recover enough to cash to cover most of the lease payment I paid during that time... i.e. free Lexus :rolleyes: If I gotta spend X amount on maintaining the car, whether it is running costs or FBT, I'd rather pay it to someone other than the tax office haha

You must have clocked up a lot of KM to get Zero FBT. I know for 25,000KM, you still need to pay 11% of FBT.

That's great that you are paying Zero FBT. I think you should consider IS-F since you are paying 0 FBT. Just a thought.

You must have clocked up a lot of KM to get Zero FBT. I know for 25,000KM, you still need to pay 11% of FBT.

That's great that you are paying Zero FBT. I think you should consider IS-F since you are paying 0 FBT. Just a thought.

Brandon, let me give you a novated lease tip :) Don't do fully maintained novated leases, as they are just rubbish (unless you are in the very very top marginal tax bracket). Do a lease only novated lease, and pay for all running costs post tax, out of your own pocket. Don't factor them into the lease, you'll come out with zero FBT that way.

I've done 26K kays, which means 11% of my car's value is taxed. Assume the car's value is 50K. At 11% the base value of the car is $5,500. Given I have done so many kays, I went through two services, so that's about $1,400 bucks spent on servicing alone. Insurance - 1K. Rego - $500. Fuel - about 2K+, can't remember. I also bought tyres, so that's $1,500 on top of that. So overall, my running costs were about $6,400. Now here comes the beauty. This is called the 'recipient contribution' which means the $6,400 is used to directly offset the base value of the car, and given I have paid more than $5,500 on the running costs. the taxable value of the car is ZERO, and no FBT. The remaining $900 I can use on calculating FBT next year, as the excess recipient contribution is carried forward to next year, with which I am able to offset the taxable value with. So you don't lose any excess amount spent.

In regards to IS-F, in theory I could, but I would have to spend about 13,200 on running costs per annum to offset FBT, assuming it's a 120K car and doing 25K+ kays per year. I don't think I'd be able to hehe. There are also other tax consequences due to such a high value, which I won't bother mentioning. I'll wait and buy a second hand one for 60K in a couple of years time :)

Danslex, very good run-down on novated lease! It is fairly new and what you said is correct in every detail! What do you do ? are you a tax accountant like me?? Haha

I think you will easily meet the 13,200 running cost on the ISF! With a 5 litre V8,that much money buys you just enough fuel to go .................home. LOL. Insurance about $5000 per annum, service very 500 ks, change tyres every 1000 ks....................and etc. LOL. jkz. you know what I mean.

Haha, yeah, I guess I could easily spend 13K per year running an IS-F haha. I suppose it would be either pay the tax or the running costs, so what the heck :) Smoke a few tyres, drive most uneconomically foot-to-the-floor-spec, and so on... 1 year leases on an IS-F would be hell pricey though... 3,4 and 5 year leases are not worth doing at all, as you probably know.

Yep, I'm a tax accountant... and I drive a Lexus. Bang! What a stereotype :)

No probs :)

This is not a 'new' system. As far as I know this employee contribution method has been around for many many years. I've had colleagues doing this back in 2003, and I wouldn't be surprised if this method existed prior to that either. I just haven't worked in tax prior to that.

But in regards to lease terms, 1 and 2 year leases are the only ones worthwhile doing, from what I've found. Basically due to the difference in residuals, and paying off the principal with your pre-tax dollars faster. The IS300 I sold recently, on which I've had 1 year lease on, I've recovered about 80% of the net of tax lease payments I made over the term of the lease, on resale. Only downside is the cashflow due to the shorter term, but you don't lose much money on the car at all at the end of the day, as not only do the tax savings offset your interest on the lease completely, but also majority of the depreciation as well. Same can't be said for the 3/4/5 year terms... hence in my opinion 3/4/5 year lease terms are a waste of time, especially on more expensive vehicles...

Danslex, "Don't do fully maintained novated leases, as they are just rubbish (unless you are in the very very top marginal tax bracket). "

What is the figure that you are referering to as the top marginal tax bracket? Earning over $100,000/year as the top marginal tax bracket?