hi guys/girls.......

new here and have an IS250 that smells like rotten egg at high revs.love my car but cant stand the smell.

have read that it may be due to a Cat problem on 2006/2007 models?

if so any suggestions for a good aftermarket exhaust (inc CAT) that doesnt sound obnoxious...

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

i have a resonator delete and it still smells...

...but less often, but still noticeable if u pull up at a set of lights after giving it a bit

Can't do anything about it! According to the service manager at my dealership it has been the #1 complaint by a fair way for all IS250 owners - and Lexus Australia have regularly nagged Japan for an answer. I believe there is a fix for US vehicles, but for Oz they can't (won't?) do anything about it.

thanks guys,

i have tried the fuel change with no success.

so i'm thinking maybe a resonator or full exhaust change.....$$$$$

i'll let u know if it works.

had this smell today on the way to school (i was late for an excursion)

so just a resonator delete wont work

maybe a full exhaust, headers, mid pipe and axleback?

all you need is to change your midpipe section with something like the invidia set up you dont need to do the whole exhaust.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/invidia-pipe-lexus-is250-i350-p-104521.html

is will eliminate the cats in the midpipes and changes the resonator. i believe there is cats before the mid pipes too so your not completely catless.

If your really interested i may have my used invidia mid pipes on the buy and sell section soon.

this also applies to the MY11 IS250 as I experienced last night after some revving :( this is the only complain i've got so far, the car is fantastic otherwise :)

yeah not cool when you have company in the car, i only notice it when i rev it higher than usual after driving it tame after a long time. so just to make fun of the situation i just told her to give me notice next time she decides to let one rip.

Just started noticing it this week. Definately an odd eggy smell.

Was hitting redline-ish in a couple of gears so thrashing it a little.

No company in the car, so not as embarrassing as a single bloke with a hot date might find it.

• 4 weeks later...

all you need is to change your midpipe section with something like the invidia set up you dont need to do the whole exhaust ...

Atlantis says he doesn't have the problem (or, at least, not nearly as bad as everyone else), and he has an F-Sport Intake.

(Ignoring the fact that chrismiass doesn't have the problem either, and he has a 2006 IS 250 - possibly not with an intake mod ...)

Is it possible that an intake change, without any exhaust change, could also fix the problem?

There is some theory to support this, as an intake would change the air/fuel composition going into the engine, so it's possible the sulphate composition (sulphur dioxide/sulphur trioxide mix) would also be different leading into the exhaust system, perhaps making just enough difference to reduce the levels of sulphur build-up in the cat and/or hydrogen sulphide released from the cat.

But, to prove this theory, most people with an intake mod and no exhaust mod (and most owning an F-Sport) would have to say they hardly experience the rotten egg smell ...

Why would one care, if we know fixing the midpipe resolves the problem? Only that, if given the choice between an intake and exhaust mod, most people here would prefer the intake (refer to the "favorite mod" topic elsewhere in these forums) ... If changing the intake fixed the smell as well as added power, it would be a bonus.

Try different types of fuel. I only get it bad when i use shell V-power.

For the RX350, BP all good, shell all Shjt

Same case for the ES300 (this was the worst of them on shell)

Same case for the RX330

Never touched shell on the IS though

all you need is to change your midpipe section with something like the invidia set up you dont need to do the whole exhaust ...

Atlantis says he doesn't have the problem (or, at least, not nearly as bad as everyone else), and he has an F-Sport Intake.

(Ignoring the fact that chrismiass doesn't have the problem either, and he has a 2006 IS 250 - possibly not with an intake mod ...)

Is it possible that an intake change, without any exhaust change, could also fix the problem?

There is some theory to support this, as an intake would change the air/fuel composition going into the engine, so it's possible the sulphate composition (sulphur dioxide/sulphur trioxide mix) would also be different leading into the exhaust system, perhaps making just enough difference to reduce the levels of sulphur build-up in the cat and/or hydrogen sulphide released from the cat.

But, to prove this theory, most people with an intake mod and no exhaust mod (and most owning an F-Sport) would have to say they hardly experience the rotten egg smell ...

Why would one care, if we know fixing the midpipe resolves the problem? Only that, if given the choice between an intake and exhaust mod, most people here would prefer the intake (refer to the "favorite mod" topic elsewhere in these forums) ... If changing the intake fixed the smell as well as added power, it would be a bonus.

I got an K&N intake kit on mine and still get the eggy smell - even with all the vents closed and it on recycle.

Tried various fuel - doesn't get better or worse as its still there..after you give a boot full.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine use to be pretty bad on 95 Shell, but since I switch to V-Power it seems much less now. Will also try the Caltex Vortex as that is the other close station but Vpower seems to be working ok.

Try different types of fuel. I only get it bad when i use shell V-power.

For the RX350, BP all good, shell all Shjt

Same case for the ES300 (this was the worst of them on shell)

Same case for the RX330

Never touched shell on the IS though